Whats the best $400 chainsaw.

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw. #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
A family member is needing a new saw to replace his Stihl wood boss. He said he wants to spend $400 or less, but that's really kinda flexible. He's a Stihl fan and I'm a Husqvarna fan. We've both read good things about Dolmar, but have neither one used one. He doesn't heat with wood, so it's use is pretty limited. He has a current project where he needs to cut about a dozen trees, but after that it won't get used very often. Around 50 cc will be adequate, but the biggest he can get without exceeded the weight of the current wood boss is more important.

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw. #3  
Take a good look at the Jonsered's that Tractor Supply is carrying, if you have one nearby. But you won't go wrong with the Dolmar, either.

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw. #4  
Stihl has the 250 on sale for $299 ($50 off)
THAT does not happen,,, often.

It is a little under 50cc,, but, I think it would be perfect for a non-woodburner,,,

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw. #6  
Well, I'm cheap! For that little bit of cutting, I'd buy two or three reconditioned Poulan Pro 42CC 18" saws for $99 each at Rural King, a couple spare bars and chains, and several cases of beer. :laughing:

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw. #7  
Stay the course with Stihl... Thank me later!

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw. #8  
Well, I'm cheap! For that little bit of cutting, I'd buy two or three reconditioned Poulan Pro 42CC 18" saws for $99 each at Rural King, a couple spare bars and chains, and several cases of beer. :laughing:

I told my brother I was thinking of spending over $1000.00 for a Husquvarna. He told me how many Poulans I could get for that.:D I bought the Husky anyhow.

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw. #9  
Any of the name brand saws will do. Best one? One that has a dealer near you.

I am a fan of Stihl mostly because of it's in-board clutch. Had to drop the power head again today on the MS441 due to a pinched bar - will be puilling the jammed block off with the truck. Any other brand it would have been impossible to free the power head.

/ Whats the best $400 chainsaw. #10  
the big makitas are supposed to be Sachs Dolmar and get good reviews. I bought a Husky 445 and like it, but I'm not chasing the big stuff I used to.