Killing hornets/wasps

/ Killing hornets/wasps #1  

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
Two weeks ago I was chopping down sticker vines around the pond and was attacked by what I thought was yellow jackets. They swarmed on me like lightning'; got hit about 10 times before I could get away from them.

So, being a brave soul (or just plain stupid!), I've been back there several times trying to find their nest, which is usually in the ground. But failing that, I just sprayed the area with some Seven Dust liquid thinking that'd run them off or kill them. Yesterday I went back and again started chopping down the sticker vines when my partner hollered - RUN! Without hesitation, I took off. She then pointed out a huge hornet nest in a tree next to where I was working, with hornets swarming all around the nest. The hornet nest is about 12 inches round and strangely, fastened to the tree trunk.

What I need to know is what/how is the best way to get rid of those critters. I have the usual little spray can of hornet/flying insect spray, but that's just not going to do the job. The nest is about 8' off the ground and not a clear shot. Is there anything else I could use?

I do have a tank sprayer that will reach about 12' of liquid. I need to be careful though with just shooting a lot of liquid insecticide out there for fear that it'll wash into the pond and killing off the fish. Flame thrower is out as well due to the dry pine trees. Suggestions?

/ Killing hornets/wasps #3  
I've been hit twice while mowing around the rhododendron this summer. On reading, it seems that yellow jackets and that plant have a thing ...;-0 I had not noticed all the years before.

Any way, there was a mud nest hanging in the foliage. I sprayed it with a hard stream of water from the garden hose until most of it was knocked down. The hornets rebuilt! I thought they would have gotten the message. Instead they got revenge stinging me the second time. ;-)

Weather is turning cooler, and It's supposed to frost soon.... that 'll get 'em.

/ Killing hornets/wasps #4  
If they are white faced hornets. Hire a profesional, or talk to a bee keeper. With a full protective suit they usually vacuum them from the nest with a shop vac, then tear the nest apart and soak it in soapy water to kill the larva. They are VERY NASTY and can sting multiple times.

They are actually benificial as they eat tent catapillars etc, but if they are near humans they have to go. If you don't go near that area much wait for a frost then cut the nest down...

/ Killing hornets/wasps #5  
IMG_20160923_093001069.jpg

this is the best I have ever used , It kills on contact . the wasp on the nest die and never fly and stay stuck 2 the nest. Its has a little straw that helps with the aim. I would get 2 cans and spray the **** out of them.

/ Killing hornets/wasps
I suppose I could stupefy them with some smoke, if I could get close enough without getting stung some more. (That wasn't fun!)

I have no idea if they are white faced hornets or what. While ducking and running while getting stung all to heck, I forgot to check :) Those guys are also real angry. They get real defensive when you get within 6 feet of the tree.

Their nest is in a tree right next to our pond. Waiting until cold weather might be the only solution, I don't know. But I hate to let them dictate our use of our favorite walking trail for several more months.

/ Killing hornets/wasps #7  
Sure.... poison might work, but not as fun or satisfying as blasting the comb with a 12 gauge (w/ #6's or #8's) from close range, but far enough away it makes about a 5" hole straight through.
Repeat as necessary.

/ Killing hornets/wasps #8  
FWIW...I have posted this before, but it bears repeating. If you will put a drop or two of juice from an onion on a bee/wasp/hornet sting, it will stop the pain immediately. It won't stop the resultant swelling, but sometimes just stopping the pain is enough. I found this out one day when I was mowing; brushed a trumpet vine out of my lap and a bumble bee got me in the palm of my hand. My Dad was living with us at the time, said "put a little onion juice on it and it will stop hurting". Yeah, right. Old wives tale...but to humor him, I followed his instructions...and to my great surprise, it worked!

/ Killing hornets/wasps
hehehe, CobyRupert - your method does sound like fun. Nothing better than a little revenge. But M5Farm's suggestion on the CRC stuff that shoots 20' is more my style. I'm a quick learner :) So, I'm off to the hardware store to get a couple of cans of CRC Hornet killer.

/ Killing hornets/wasps #10  
Yes, the 12 gauge will work.

I was a professional yellowjacket and hornet exterminator for three years. The BEST thing to do is to borrow or buy (then you'll be ready next time) a bee suit. Then you can pretty much do whatever you want, bring over your shop vac, walk right up and spray pesticides in the nest, whatever suits your fancy.

Next best thing is to go out at night with a trash bag. No flashlights, or at least not on you. A lamp on the ground is okay. Bag the Sucker, close the bag, and toss it in the chest freezer. This is very effective, but you only get one chance. It works for some nests, but not for others. If there is lots of vegetation around, it might be in the way. It's very exhilarating, but can go awry.

Oh, I almost forgot. The easiest thing to do is nothing. They'll die off as the temps drop. They don't over winter in the nest. If you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone.