Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road?

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
As a child I was always taught to walk on the left side of the road here in the USA as drivers drive on the right side of the roadway. In this manner you are facing traffic not with your back turned to it. It seems common sense to be able to face the oncoming traffic so that you have a chance to get off of the road way if need be, as your eyes and ears work much better that way.

But I have noticed that over the years almost everyone around me walks on the right side of the road so that they cannot see the traffic coming up behind them, and many have earbuds in so they can hear nothing. I assume all of these people are hoping some preoccupied person in a motor vehicle will run them down so that their miserable lives will be ended. This is both children and adults I see doing this.

Am I missing something here? I would not walk at all on some of our curvy tree lined narrow roadways near where I live unless absolutely necessary as I consider it unsafe. But IF I had to do so, I would darn sure walk on the left side of the road so that I could better detect oncoming traffic and move the he77 off of the roadway.

What do you all say? I would like to think I am a logical adult, but nowadays who knows?

Signed: Ranting in Branson. :)

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #2  
You are correct. It's the law in most areas. You are supposed to walk facing the traffic, and ride (bikes, cars tractors) with the traffic.

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #3  
Hey, I've seen some joggers at 5AM, in the dark of winter, jogging along in a snow storm in the city streets. Dah-h-h, is that good for one's health?:thumbdown: It must be some kind of stupid to walk/jog not facing the traffic, on narrow country roads or in snow storms.

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #5  
Let nature sort them out. That's how evolution works, ya know.

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road?
Because nobody taught them the correct way.

I guess. But I remember being taught this by my parents, and also at school.

Hey, I've seen some joggers at 5AM, in the dark of winter, jogging along in a snow storm in the city streets. Dah-h-h, is that good for one's health?:thumbdown: It must be some kind of stupid to walk/jog not facing the traffic, on narrow country roads or in snow storms.

We used to have a female jogger that jogged at night all the time with her "earbuds in" on the right side of the road. And we have some really twisty narrow roads. She disappeared after a couple of years of doing this. I always wondered if she got run over.

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #8  
Then you have the joggers all dressed in white jogging in winter or in summer in dark colors.
Then they wonder why you did not see them????
Add to that wearing earphones as they want to listen to favorite music!

As the saying goes, You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink!

" You just can't cure stupid"

/ Rant: Why are so many people walking on the WRONG side of the road? #9  
People trust other folks driving skills to much or they are just plain stupid.Another thing I have noticed when folks walk out of a store (say walmart)they cross in front of traffic thinking everyone will stop for them.I think we live in a entitlement society full of lawsuits

People trust other folks driving skills to much or they are just plain stupid.Another thing I have noticed when folks walk out of a store (say walmart)they cross in front of traffic thinking everyone will stop for them.I think we live in a entitlement society full of lawsuits

It is even better when they are looking down at their phone.. :)