Could Ohio make their Knife carry laws any more confusing?

/ Could Ohio make their Knife carry laws any more confusing? #1  

2ndhalf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Gravely ZT HD 60, MF GC2400
   / Could Ohio make their Knife carry laws any more confusing? #2  
Well, I am from Missouri, so don't take anything I have to say about Ohio knife law to heart, but I would say your knife laws mean exactly what the prosecutor wants them to mean at any given time. In other words, it depends. It depends on if they want to charge you or not. The laws is vauge for a reason, so they can charge you if they want to. When you see stupid chit like "it doesn't look like an ordinary knife" then you know it is BS law. What ever the heck an "ordinary knife" looks like. Who knows?

/ Could Ohio make their Knife carry laws any more confusing? #3  
Well, from the article you posted a link to, and the name of that knife being Ghoststrike, and the demo video showing it being whipped out and talking about using it as a weapon, my guess is you'd get punished if involved in a even slight altercation.

Change the name of it to "Flower pruning tool" and maybe not so much. :laughing:

/ Could Ohio make their Knife carry laws any more confusing? #4  
I've been carrying this exact knife for 30 years. Its a tool. Not a defensive weapon.

Swiss Army Floral Knife

SWISSARMYKNIFE-2T.jpg

/ Could Ohio make their Knife carry laws any more confusing? #5  
Well, from the article you posted a link to, and the name of that knife being Ghoststrike, and the demo video showing it being whipped out and talking about using it as a weapon, my guess is you'd get punished if involved in a even slight altercation.

Change the name of it to "Flower pruning tool" and maybe not so much. :laughing:

Do you reckon it resembles an "ordinary knife"? I sure don't know. And are you carrying it for the purpose of a weapon?. Now how in the heck can a prosecutor look into a persons brain and decide if they were carrying it for the purpose of a weapon or not?.

"no sir your honor, I was carrying my "ghost strike" to eat my peas with.. That and cut up the beef roast and spear me some carrots." "yep that ain't no weapon, no sir, I would never carry a weapon".

People that make and write laws are such morons...

/ Could Ohio make their Knife carry laws any more confusing? #6  
We can carry anything we want concealed including automatic knives here in Missouri as long as the blade is 4 inches or under and you have a CCW permit. Or a valid permit from a state with reciprocity. I will say this, knife laws are a lot harder to understand than even gun laws.

/ Could Ohio make their Knife carry laws any more confusing? #7  
We can carry anything we want concealed including automatic knives here in Missouri as long as the blade is 4 inches or under and you have a CCW permit. Or a valid permit from a state with reciprocity. I will say this, knife laws are a lot harder to understand than even gun laws.

I received an automatic knife while deployed and had to have a letter to bring it back and get thru customs. I was confused about our states laws. I shared my concern with a friend that is a State Trooper and he basically told me not to worry about it. It does have a scary name ... Blackhawk ATFK (Advanced Tactical Fighting Knife).

/ Could Ohio make their Knife carry laws any more confusing? #8  
Do you reckon it resembles an "ordinary knife"? I sure don't know. And are you carrying it for the purpose of a weapon?. Now how in the heck can a prosecutor look into a persons brain and decide if they were carrying it for the purpose of a weapon or not?.

"no sir your honor, I was carrying my "ghost strike" to eat my peas with.. That and cut up the beef roast and spear me some carrots." "yep that ain't no weapon, no sir, I would never carry a weapon".

People that make and write laws are such morons...

I agree that the law is vague. That article that was linked to also showed an example of someone that didn't get penalized for carrying a knife.

Ghostsrike pea knife.... that's funny. :laughing:

/ Could Ohio make their Knife carry laws any more confusing?
So all of your comments are the things I was thinking about too; the ambiguity and the risk. It almost depends on who you ask, the situation, the judge etc. I agree the name of the knife and the video and description wouldn't help my case if ever an altercation occured.

But honestly the packaging says nothing about the purpose of the knife though it does say tactical knife. I really love the horizontal option on the belt more than anything. I googled tacticle knife and found it is really for fighting/combat. If I were in a courtroom I could say I had never seen that video and didn't know what tactical knife means and that I did buy it as a survival knife..because honestly it isn't that far off from a survival knife. I am looking at survival knifes now.. I may let the Ghost Strike go.. not worth the Risk.. My kid is probably going to get one but he is in the military and said he would carry it if deployed.

Thanks for your all your comments... kind of confirmed what I was thinking.

/ Could Ohio make their Knife carry laws any more confusing?

I wish it were so clear here... I think that seems like the right way to handle it... but then again we name our football team after a freagin worthless nut :laughing: