Old video of cultivation of new land

/ Old video of cultivation of new land #1  

Tor Arne

Gold Member
Tractor
Same Explorer 65, MF 135, MF 30, MF165, Volvo BM 55, Volvo BM 425, Volvo BM 2254, Terengmester skidder, Ford 3000, Fordson major, Derreng unknown model, IH B275, MAN 4R2, Gutbord sub compact.
Filmed in 1968, when this was cutting edge in the development of creating a new field.
Custom-made trailers for rock and roots, semi tractors, MAN 4wd tractors and Volvo BM loader. They speak Norwegian in the video so I'll try to translate if there is something you wonder about

[video]https://tv.nrk.no/program/FOLA68007068/ny-jord-uten-plog[/video]

/ Old video of cultivation of new land #2  
The machinery and in particular the loader operator looked to do a good job of picking out the larger rocks. Guess there were still plenty of small round stones to keep someone busy for years to come.

What did they talk about in the commentary - were they saying this was about to revolutionise agriculture in Norway ? We had a very enjoyable holiday there a few years ago, however we were shocked at the high price of what we would consider ordinary vegetables, apples and other fruit.

/ Old video of cultivation of new land
The owner of the firm is talking about how he adds up the job and the role of the various machines, also says that the screening bucket is originally accessories excavator. but the shovel to lift the stone, he has made himself. The farmer who is interviewing talking about that this area had not been feasible to clean with manual work. This was a time when many still used horse as the primary traction.
The contractor also says that he misses equipment to pick the smaller stones, but the equipment available on the market are either too expensive that it pays or not solid enough to Norwegian conditions

Glad to hear att you had a nice holiday in Norway. Yes I agree that food is expensive here, the problem is that supermarkets are holding all the profits while the farmer receives mostly paid the same price as he did in the early 80s

/ Old video of cultivation of new land #4  
Nice video, interesting. I take it the land was being cleared for farming? Wow, what a lot of work and a LOT of rocks. I was thinking in land like that you never really get all the rocks, they just keep rising up through the soil. The number of stones and rocks there was amazing.

/ Old video of cultivation of new land #5  
For smaller rocks we press an old potato picker into service. The dirt drops through the chain and the rocks go into a trailer. That dump trailer in the video was pretty nifty. The recycled tractor tires would roll over almost anything.

Nice video, interesting. I take it the land was being cleared for farming? Wow, what a lot of work and a LOT of rocks. I was thinking in land like that you never really get all the rocks, they just keep rising up through the soil. The number of stones and rocks there was amazing.

Yeah it will be farm land
You're never finished with stones in the field, I can attest to, is not sure how old my farm is but I know that my great grandmother grew up here. even then I run about 5tonn stone of the field every time I plow 10 acre

For smaller rocks we press an old potato picker into service. The dirt drops through the chain and the rocks go into a trailer. That dump trailer in the video was pretty nifty. The recycled tractor tires would roll over almost anything.

An old potato picker will work if it's not too much rock. The problem is the larger stones that frost will brings up every year, you can be sure you will not find it until you come with equipment that can not withstand a collision with the stone

yes the trailer is quite ingenious. I have equal tractor to the one being used to tow it, based on what I see the wheels of the trailer is about a 30 "rims

/ Old video of cultivation of new land #8  
Yeah it will be farm land
You're never finished with stones in the field, I can attest to, is not sure how old my farm is but I know that my great grandmother grew up here. even then I run about 5tonn stone of the field every time I plow 10 acre
Yes! That is exactly what I imagined.
It is one of the reasons our early settlers pushed west, the soil in Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa was great soil, few stones. Just good black dirt. Of course where the glaciers went through millions of years ago there are parts that are rocky, but for the most areas not anything like the rocks in that video.

What is the crops that would grow there do you think?
What crops do you grow?
Thank you

Yes! That is exactly what I imagined.
It is one of the reasons our early settlers pushed west, the soil in Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa was great soil, few stones. Just good black dirt. Of course where the glaciers went through millions of years ago there are parts that are rocky, but for the most areas not anything like the rocks in that video.

What is the crops that would grow there do you think?
What crops do you grow?
Thank you

In the video he's talking about oats. I grow mainly hay, potatoes so I dont have to buy and a little barly so I can brew good malt beer for Christmas