Strange well behavior

/ Strange well behavior #1  

sailfast

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5055, Mahindra 315, JD 2040
So there is the stub of the well casing sticking a few inches above the ground.

The strange part is that there is water coming up out of the well head.
Any thoughts?

/ Strange well behavior #3  
Sounds like a "good" thing in my book.As dry as our summer has been(Northern NY) a well that is over flowing is unreal.As stated sounds like an artesian well.If you are looking to buy or build on the property this surely would be a plus.
Build a pond nearby and run the excess there.

/ Strange well behavior
I am concerned there could be some other problem.
Wondering if it might freeze in a couple months

/ Strange well behavior #5  

Itr would only feeze down to the frost level, may crack the casing. Has it flowed like that in the past?

/ Strange well behavior #6  
Wow...sounds like your well is overflowing. Your well head probably has a hinged cast aluminum cap on it that you can open (a prudent man might shut off the breaker first). If you are that high, might be time to call in a well driller. We have had "abundant" rain in Wisconsin this year (we noted that we haven't had to change out our iron filters in months) so I know our well has benefited but not to that extent. Something doesn't sound right.

/ Strange well behavior #7  

Are they fracking a well there? Just asking...

/ Strange well behavior #8  
Are they fracking a well there? Just asking...
That came to mind and I think they are fracking in Ohio. OP didn't say how deep his well is. A typical residential well outfit will drill only as deep as they have to in order to find a "vein" that they think will supply the normal household (our well is only 55' deep). Fracking goes much deeper than that but I suppose it could disturb what was considered "bedrock" that is usually a huge layer of rock so I doubt it (our well driller actually went deeper than 55' and lost the vein...said if he went deeper it might be 300' or 600' or deeper, all through solid granite where he said the water quality would be poor). All depends on local conditions I guess but around here that gives me a an indication of the depth of the "bedrock". Will be interesting to see what the OP says...if it is due to fracking then people need to know.

/ Strange well behavior #9  
Is the pump running?

/ Strange well behavior #10  
Is the pump running?

Yeah, that's what I'd want to rule out right up front!

Any records of this well? In my area wells are recorded by the county and you can find out lots of information such as depth, screen sizes, output and other stuff.

Best to consult with a local well company.

Careful with surface-level water!