Bread Machines

/ Bread Machines #1  

Larry Caldwell

Tractor
Kubota l3130
Does anyone else use a bread machine? I always found it a nuisance to have to go to town just because we were out of bread, and I never really cared for the factory sponge loaves, but I didn't care for the mixing, kneading and baking to make bread either. A few months ago I bought a bread machine, and it has been a pretty good investment. Home made bread goes stale pretty fast, even if you add potato starch to the dough, so I stick with the smallest recipe. Moisture content of the dough is pretty critical in the machine I bought, so I adjust the liquid or flour after the mixing starts to get the right consistency. I figure the machine has saved several times the purchase price just in gasoline and not buying overpriced factory bread.

/ Bread Machines #2  
We are on our second or third machine. I quit eating store bought bread several years ago, except when at Subway. Learned to make pretty good loaves with all purpose and whole wheat flour. Only problem now is figuring out how to make decent bread without barley in the flour--checking possible food intolerance. So far all attempts have yielded pretty good brick substitutes.

/ Bread Machines #3  
Have you ever tried any of the no knead recipes?
Personally I enjoy kneading the dough and having total control over texture and taste but bread baking is my winter time hobby. Some bread recipes keep better than others so I'd encourage you to experiment.
Have fun. Everybody loves good home made bread!

/ Bread Machines #4  
This something Toni and I are interests in but have no idea which machine to get. I had put it on the back burner because the new house isn't ready yet but I am getting closer to having it ready to move in.

/ Bread Machines #5  
Haven't seen any no knead recipes.

Years ago I made bread by hand, but got lazy with age.

We always put bread in the refrigerator--never had problems with it keeping.

After some research the last machine I bought was an Oster from one of the major shopping sites. I have an aversion to buying something expensive if cheaper will work. Tho I generally avoid aftermarket warranties, I bought one for this because it was one of the cheapest I found and I was concerned about its reliability. Turned out to be wasted money. It has outlasted the warranty and still works great.

/ Bread Machines #7  
there's 5 minute artisan bread that you can make real easy and it tastes great. easy to find on the www.

/ Bread Machines #8  
Thanx for the tips. I have looked at several no knead, artisan bread recipes. They sound good, but all those I have read call for all-purpose or bread flour. Those contain barley, which I am trying to avoid for now. I will try the technique for my next loaf, using barley-free flour.

/ Bread Machines #9  
I took the machine, that my wife uses to make bread, to the local hot rod shop,,,
I told him to "paint it",,, this is what came back.

Hobart2_zps380c9a06.jpg

/ Bread Machines
I took the machine, that my wife uses to make bread, to the local hot rod shop,,,
I told him to "paint it",,, this is what came back.

Hobart2_zps380c9a06.jpg

Ah yes, the old Hobart Kitchenaid, from before they sold the brand to the Asians. I have one too, with a big selection of attachments. I think my power colander is a rarity. I don't think they sell it any more for some reason. It sits on the tub and has a flat wooden paddle that squidges around the screen and forces the food through. I also have the meat grinder, sausage stuffer and Squeezo (berry de-seeder) set, and the grain mill. The grain mill is pretty slow, but works.