Pressure washing wood outdoor swings/gliders

/ Pressure washing wood outdoor swings/gliders #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
I've got both a swing and glider that I want to refinish. The UV has gotten to both of them, in very good shape otherwise. Since moving here 6 years ago, I've now got both of them under porch roofs, so hopefully I won't have a big of a UV problem. On the glider in particular, I used a spar boat varnish...it really looked nice....but it did not stand up to the UV problems. On the swing, I don't recall what I used, just to long ago, but it never looked near as good as what the glider did.

Slats, getting between them etc, is why I've thought of using a pressure washer. A little googling....some sites says don't do it....other say do it. So I'm looking for experience on this. I know I've pressured off some wood steps at my current house last year, and they look 100% better.

So...opinions on using pressure washer??...Then what's the best product for the refinish?

/ Pressure washing wood outdoor swings/gliders #2  
Don't know about the pressure washing. Not a lot of good options for spar. Might see if the Marine (UV stabilized) Waterlox Tung Oil is compatible.

/ Pressure washing wood outdoor swings/gliders #3  
Just don't get too close. I've pressure washed latice without causing any damage. Start back and move gradually closer.

/ Pressure washing wood outdoor swings/gliders #4  
I have gouged "ruts" in softer woods with a pressure washer.

Start well back, and go easy.

I have never done this, but you might want to think about a little bleach in the initial water, followed by a rinse.

/ Pressure washing wood outdoor swings/gliders #5  
Use a wide tip to start and work towards the item to make sure you don't damage it. TSP is also helpful in some cases but I would start with straight water and see how it goes - may surprise you.

/ Pressure washing wood outdoor swings/gliders #6  
We had a swing set made of PT wood for the grandkids that I refinished at least twice. Both times, I pressure washed it then sanded it with a belt sander and an orbital sander. I do not recall the first brand of the first coating, only that it was taken off of the market, go figure. The second time I coated it with Cabot Harbour Master which lasted maybe six years.

Depending on the pressure that your washer puts out, as previously mentioned, don't get to close until you get a feel for it. When the previous coating is peeling all over, just sanding will quickly have you reaching for more "power".

I don't know if something like deck paint would last longer or not.

/ Pressure washing wood outdoor swings/gliders #7  
Test out the pressure washer on the BOTTOM of the swings. If you get to close and gouge it a bit you will know the distance to stay back for the rest of it. Keep in mind the bottom is likely in better shape. If you gouge it at 12 inches it might be best to stay 14 or 16 inches back on the rest of it just to be safe. Wider spray tip as listed above is also good idea. TSP is a great product but if mixed strongly it can etch glass. Not a problem for your project but just info for later. Also the run off from what ever cleaner you use can leave "clean" streaks or paths in the drive or patio your washing over as it runs off into the grass. So be prepared to clean them also :) Make darn sure the wood is dry dry dry before you move to the next step. The pressure washer will soak the wood more than regular scrubbing. Keep in mind house paints are not made for flat horizontal surfaces. Good brand of UV resistant clear coat sounds good. If its listed for marine use then that's even better. Might check into epoxy type clear finish. Pay attention to re coat times. Some products you have to wait a while. Some products you only have a certain time frame to apply the next coat. Epoxy types are common on this. They make one and two part mixes. Check stuff out on the net as your doing and at a professional type paint supply. Assuming you can find a knowledgeable person. Also keep in mind that tech support at most manufactures can be of help also. Just keep punching buttons till you get to the correct department. Re coat it next time before you have to strip it down if possible :)

/ Pressure washing wood outdoor swings/gliders #8  
I have a cedar home and fortunately I tried my pressure washer on some "waste" cedar. It really gouged the cedar. Ended up just using the garden hose. Pressure washer works fine on the fir decks.

I have treated my house outside with many different products over the 34 years. Bear log oil, polyurethane, some kind of cedar stain. The last product I used was put on in 2007 - Cabot Australian Timber oil - cedar. Its called a semi-translucent oil stain. Its the best product - so far. In checking my diary - I see its been ten years - probably time to put on another coat but it still looks good. I just lightly sand the entire house outside and roll on the oil stain.