Craigslist reply - Helpful advice or smarta$$?

/ Craigslist reply - Helpful advice or smarta$$? #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
As I am in the process of remodeling my house, I have many things listed for sale on eBay and Craigslist that we no longer need. One that I have listed is Antique Cast Iron ornate victorian Fireplace Surround, Summer insert and I got a reply to it and am wondering if the person who sent me this reply was trying to be helpful or just an a$$hole.

He replied: "even with proof this came from a plantation doesn't make it worth any more than one that came from a shotgun. These were and are extremely common items, just think, EVERY house had at least one, most likely more because EVERY house had multiple fireplaces. Although nice, it isn't worth more than 50-75.00. Good luck."

Since I like to reply to everyone who replies to my ads I had to respond with this:

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to give me advice on my fireplace surround. Surely you must be a dealer to be so knowledgeable about these surrounds and probably have purchased many in the past for much less than I am asking. Many times in the past I have sold things for much less than they were worth just to get rid of them in a hurry so I know it is not unusual to find a bargain. Please allow me to explain why I have it priced as it is.

First off, it is from Willswood plantation which was torn down in 1934 during the depression and all materials from it were used to build the house I live in now. This I have proof of and I still reside on land that was formerly part of the plantation. Although you are correct that many homes had a fireplace surround, this does not make them plentiful or worthless. If it did, then Model A Fords would be worthless also. However, both cast iron fireplace surrounds and Model A Fords were sold for scrap by the millions during World War II to help our war effort making them much more rare today.

I have been watching the sales of these types of surrounds on eBay and Craigslist in many different cities for some time now and have seen comparable ones sell for anywhere from $125 to $650 proving that any item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I am now in the process of gutting my home and completely remodeling it, tearing out the old chimney with no real need for the surround but my wife loves the fireplace look and wants to keep it and put in an artificial fireplace though I would rather get rid of it. So we made a deal. If I can get $500 for it within 90 days I can sell it. If not I have to build her fireplace. It might not sell because women usually win.

Best Regards,
Dudley

Now, I'm wondering if I was an ***** for sending someone a reply like that?

/ Craigslist reply - Helpful advice or smarta$$? #2  
Most of the people on C.L are cheap they think that it's used you should be glad to get Pennys on the dollar for it!.

/ Craigslist reply - Helpful advice or smarta$$? #3  
He is being a jerk. I get them all the time. Latest one was for a classic / historic car I was selling for $7500.
They replied "What you have is a $4000 used car for sale. Let me know when your price comes close to that number"
Note that they did not call and ask questions about the car, did not come look at the car, have no idea on the thousands of dollars spent to rebuild / replace many parts that have been installed, have no idea what a classic cars value is. My particular car has a written appraisal of $13.5K and I'm selling to thin the herd so to speak. I replied all of this back to them and suggested if he is not interested in the car at my price there is no reason for him to reply at all. I also suggested he send the reply he sent to me to three other people who are selling the same year and make of car for 7-8K more than me.
Most times I just ignore replies such as this to my ads.

/ Craigslist reply - Helpful advice or smarta$$? #4  
Also don't reply to spammers.

/ Craigslist reply - Helpful advice or smarta$$? #5  
sometimes people do mean well - it is just hard to communicate tone and such in emails. I see a LOT of overpriced stuff on Craigslist (you know the Harbor freight $20 item for $35) but I personally just laugh and move on....

/ Craigslist reply - Helpful advice or smarta$$? #6  
Though possibly unnecessary, your reply was polite and in good taste, even if a bit long, gave good detail.

Craigslist can be such a crap-shoot.

/ Craigslist reply - Helpful advice or smarta$$? #7  
I liked your reply. I thought it very informative and civil. I would also be interested to know if you get your asking price or near it for your item.

/ Craigslist reply - Helpful advice or smarta$$? #8  
It's probably harmless to reply to a CL message to provide details. But I wouldn't expect that 'buyer' to raise his offer.

On the contrary I've become more cautious writing Amazon product reviews. I pointed out a Ryobi tool listed as 'Rebuilt' and bearing a model number unique to only one seller on Amazon, was priced double what I paid for the same thing new at Home Depot where it is HD's 'house brand'. I caught a lot of flak and my reputation as a reviewer was downgraded some. While I thought I had clearly explained it was the price from this seller, not the tool itself, that was a poor choice, I discovered there are more ignorant people out there ready to pounce than I expected.

/ Craigslist reply - Helpful advice or smarta$$?
The debate goes on. He replied to my reply:
"I can see your not a gambling man, as stated , your word is not proof or provenance. The reason model a’s are worth more is because there are so few left, unlike your fire place surround, which can be bought on any given day in and around New Orleans and surrounding areas for the prices I stated. Not a dealer or haggler at all, just saw an outrageous price on my way through the listings and figured I’d inquire. Don't want to buy it, sell it or argue about it. I am however a gambling man and I’m betting you’ll be building a fireplace soon. Do you want odds?!!"

It was late at night but I had to at least give a quick reply back:
"I would be willing to bet that there are more Model As in the New Orleans area than there are fireplace surrounds of this make and model. I know many antique car owners with Model As but have never seen a surround like this one before. Maybe it is a one of a kind and I do have a rare photo of it in the dining room of the Willswood Plantation.

PS Maybe you could give me an idea about the nicest looking artificial fireplace to put behind this surround when I lose."

/ Craigslist reply - Helpful advice or smarta$$? #10  
I think both of you are merely stating an opinion. I wouldn't give it another thought.