Burn Barrel design

/ Burn Barrel design #1  

Wagtail

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4105 / JD Z355E (48" deck)
It seems pretty simple; get yourself a 55 gallon metal drum, drill some air-holes and light'er up!

Of course things are not so simple and the intertubes have many suggestions on setting one up... so I'll turn to the collective wisdom and experience of TBN.

I've got a 55 gallon metal drum (no top), so what should I do with it to make the best burn-barrel? :firefighter:

/ Burn Barrel design #2  
Get some 110V blower! Thanks, you have given me an idea. Just remember to unplug, before melt down.

/ Burn Barrel design #3  
We always went out with a brick of .22 rimfire and a semi-auto (to save time), and had fun while punching the holes.

/ Burn Barrel design #4  
We always went out with a brick of .22 rimfire and a semi-auto (to save time), and had fun while punching the holes.

That, and using the pointy end of a pick. Drill? Never!

Put two bigger opposite holes at the top rim for lifting.

Bruce

/ Burn Barrel design
That, and using the pointy end of a pick. Drill? Never!

Put two bigger opposite holes at the top rim for lifting.

Bruce

I like the pick idea! That sounds satisfying too! :) The interwebs recommend holes in the bottom for rain-water drainage... and propping the barrel up on bricks to aid the airflow.

Should the side-holes be 'all over' or should they be restricted to the bottom third?

/ Burn Barrel design #6  
Maybe bottom 1/2 or 2/3's. The top third will act as a chimney. Bottom 1/3 will have draft reduced too fast by ash, etc.

I've used a "barrel" made of very heavy mesh, about 1 inch space. It wasn't as good as a steel barrel as there was no upwards draft.

Bruce

/ Burn Barrel design #7  
I used my grinder and cut several slots about 1/3 the way up from the bottom. Don't know if it works-----never have tried to burn anything.:laughing:

/ Burn Barrel design
I used my grinder and cut several slots about 1/3 the way up from the bottom. Don't know if it works-----never have tried to burn anything.:laughing:

I've just seen that on U-tube (I'd post the video but the bloke swears a LOT so it's unsuitable for TBN). They're referring to it as a 'cyclone' or 'vortex' style/type.

One bloke (with the potty-mouth) cut two, opposite, small rectangles at the the bottom-sides... then three, evenly spaced, vertical slots around the middle. He then, using a crowbar, opened up the slots to form slight air-scoops. All of the scoops were orientated the same way.

A different bloke cut six slots, evenly spaced, around the bottom third. They were cut at approximately 25-30 degrees to the vertical, then they were opened up to form scoops; all orientated the same way.

/ Burn Barrel design #9  
I'd take a pickaxe and stab it several times. Shooting it would leave sharp exit wounds just waiting to wound you.

/ Burn Barrel design #10  
My rimfire ventilated barrel is used to remove stumps,,,

20151011_193159_zpstlglhlsm.jpg

Some 44 Mag may also have been used in the ventilation process... :laughing:
:thumbsup: