Ultrasonic gun cleaning

/ Ultrasonic gun cleaning #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Is anyone else cleaning there guns/parts with an ultrasonic cleaner?
A year or so ago I got a small ultrasonic cleaner and it GREAT! I am careful on what I put in it and personally use a little bit of Joy dish soap and water as my cleaning agent - it is absolutely amazing how good of a job it does on cleaning up parts. I tore down my Glock and cleaned it recently and I could not believe how good it came out. I do dry it well after rinsing it clean and then lightly lube everything because the cleaner removes all the oil. I also still do the barrel but the ultrasonic cleaning really helps that a lot also.
Just wondering if others have used them much and if you are as pleased with the results?

/ Ultrasonic gun cleaning #2  
Never used them at home, but we had one when I worked in the laboratory. They were amazing in cleaning little things that did not lend themselves to simple cleaning, like watchbands, eye glasses, etc. We were of course supposed to use them for laboratory purposes, but they were marvelous for intricate things like jewelry...I would think they would work extremely well for guns and gun parts.

/ Ultrasonic gun cleaning
You can get a nice one for under $200 bucks (and far less depending on what you want)and that includes a heat cycle. Easy sell at home also - "Honey I got this because it is the best thing made for cleaning your jewelry!"

/ Ultrasonic gun cleaning #4  
Be careful what solutions you use to clean gun parts. Avoid citrus and other acid based degreasers as they can affect bluing. Dawn or other household detergents work safely, and yes preheat water/solution if a heater is not included. Also, allow a first run cycle to de-gas your water for best results.

It's also ok to put parts into short lab beakers (pricier ones that are almost as wide as they are tall) with specific mixes for each and run them in a tank of plain water. They'll clean up just as well, and there'll be a bit less mess o'all.

btw, I used the US cleaners to clean brass but found the results underwhelming and have gone to SS pins and Thumler tumbler to do that job.

/ Ultrasonic gun cleaning #5  
We use one on carbs and other parts. I usually use Simple Green and water.

Electrolytic barrel cleaning is a wonder, had a garand barrel cleaned that way.

/ Ultrasonic gun cleaning #6  
We has a small one in the lab where I worked. I put my SS watch band in. Good Lord - the cleaning fluid turned to mud!!! And I'd had that grungy thing strapped around my wrist for years. I've been told to be very careful of jewelry with stones - it might loosen the stones & cause them to drop out of their settings.

Never even thought about cards - that is a GOOD idea. I have one in the shop now that really needs cleaned, may have to give that a test! Any big no no's on carbs?

/ Ultrasonic gun cleaning #9  
We had a super powerful setup at my old job to clean medical parts. Used sodium hydroxide (drano) solution in the first 2 tanks (6 tanks). The stainless tub was lined with about 10 inducers and each had a powerful amplifier. I was actually afraid to put in any diamonds that the resonance might crack them...Also, the resonance changed frequency from low to high and repeated about every 4 seconds.

Be careful, your parts will be not only oil free, but a powerful model can actually change the surface finish a bit duller. Probably be fine with simple green and a home model.

Thanks Kyle - I was playing with it last night and tossed a "plated" plastic soap bottle pump it in to see if it would clean it or unplate it. Well it cleaned it, most of it down to the base plastic - lol.
Oh well it was an experiment and I was only using Joy dish soap, glad I didn't try something important. Thanks for the advice.