Cheap firearms ??????

/ Cheap firearms ?????? #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
A little background - Been shooting since childhood and always wanted to get "good" firearms. Spent at lot of hrs behind a Anschutz shooting in college and mostly always top quality rifles and combat pistols. Recently built a small range at the house for the family to have fun shooting on and just get out there for fun. Noticed the kids LOVE shooting the .22's so I figured I would get a single action to let them learn pistol shooting on and practice with. I went to our local gun shop and was talking to owner and he offered to order me a new Ruger (as I went in planning on ordering one) but suggested I try the Heritage Rough rider. He suggested it because it has a "safety" (yes weird for a single action) and said it was cheap enough that if the kids bang it up I would not be out much. Claimed it is a pretty decent shooter and a lot of fun. Well for about $175 bucks for the pistol (about a 6" barrel) with a 22LR and .22 Mag cylinder I figured I would give it a shot (not pun intended). If you don't want the 2 cylinders you see them for about $125 normally.

I have to say it is a fun little gun, decently accurate, functions fine, easy to teach the kids on. I really have to admit I like the little thing. Been shooting steel plates with it and although it is a little low and a hair left of the Point of aim with CHEAP federal .22's I can't complain. The kids love it and have been doing great with it. The finish is ok, has some marks and in some way I am glad about that. I am used to having guns I dread getting a mark on so this is sort of a funny relief in that I really don't care about it. If it gets scratched, oh well, who cares.

Funny, never bought any "bargain" guns like this before and have to say if you want a cheap single action to just have fun with - go for it.

/ Cheap firearms ?????? #2  
Personally, IF I was buying a single action, it would be the Ruger... and I'm not even a Ruger fan...

SR

/ Cheap firearms ?????? #3  
A little background - Been shooting since childhood and always wanted to get "good" firearms. Spent at lot of hrs behind a Anschutz shooting in college and mostly always top quality rifles and combat pistols. Recently built a small range at the house for the family to have fun shooting on and just get out there for fun. Noticed the kids LOVE shooting the .22's so I figured I would get a single action to let them learn pistol shooting on and practice with. I went to our local gun shop and was talking to owner and he offered to order me a new Ruger (as I went in planning on ordering one) but suggested I try the Heritage Rough rider. He suggested it because it has a "safety" (yes weird for a single action) and said it was cheap enough that if the kids bang it up I would not be out much. Claimed it is a pretty decent shooter and a lot of fun. Well for about $175 bucks for the pistol (about a 6" barrel) with a 22LR and .22 Mag cylinder I figured I would give it a shot (not pun intended). If you don't want the 2 cylinders you see them for about $125 normally.

I have to say it is a fun little gun, decently accurate, functions fine, easy to teach the kids on. I really have to admit I like the little thing. Been shooting steel plates with it and although it is a little low and a hair left of the Point of aim with CHEAP federal .22's I can't complain. The kids love it and have been doing great with it. The finish is ok, has some marks and in some way I am glad about that. I am used to having guns I dread getting a mark on so this is sort of a funny relief in that I really don't care about it. If it gets scratched, oh well, who cares.

Funny, never bought any "bargain" guns like this before and have to say if you want a cheap single action to just have fun with - go for it.

I've heard nothing bad about the Heritage Rough rider wheel guns...they also make for a good, cheap "snake charmer" with a 6" barrel and rat shot...!

/ Cheap firearms ?????? #4  
I remember shooting a little ruger bearcat 22 pistol when I was a kid. Ful little gun.

/ Cheap firearms ?????? #6  
I have four of the Heritage Rough Rider .22's*. I bought one about 5 years ago intending to shoot it so frequently that I would be comfortable that I could hit just about anything in range. Shooting frequently turned out to be a hassle because of the frequent reloading. I still like the gun and take it to my range just about anytime i go. Shortly after I bought that one, I saw then on sale for $99, so I bought two more. Then earlier this year Academy had a deal that if you bought another gun you got a Rough Rider free. I also have a Ruger Single Six but for a knock around gun I will carry the RR.
* Actually, all those guns mentioned were lost when my boat overturned in the lake a few weeks ago......

/ Cheap firearms ??????
Personally, IF I was buying a single action, it would be the Ruger... and I'm not even a Ruger fan...

SR

While I totally agree that the Ruger is a better firearm and very well made, if I could find one for $100-$175 new I would be all about it. I am looking to get a Ruger sometime but they are over $500 now a days so for teaching and just a beat around in the bush gun the Rough Rider is fun little shooter. Heck one Ruger I looked at had grips that cost more then the Rough Rider..... It was a NICE NICE NICE Ruger!

/ Cheap firearms ?????? #8  
I've been thinking for awhile about getting a single action .22 revolver. I've looked at the Heritage RR, EAA Bounty Hunter, and the Rugers. I didn't really care for the feel of the Heritage, and I absolutely despised that goofy safety. I have heard a lot of good things about them, though. The Rugers are a bit too much for a plinking gun, so I'm considering the Bounty Hunter. I wish they were available in stainless, but then maybe it's time for me to buy a blue gun (every handgun I own is stainless except the 1911, which is black, so that doesn't count).

Nice to hear that it's working out for you, Code54. I'm not opposed to inexpensive firearms ... which do not always equate with "cheap." Been harvesting rabbits and squirrels with my $115 Savage MkII .22 rifle for a couple of decades now.

/ Cheap firearms ??????
The Savage's are excellent for the money. I have a Savage .308 that will do right around a ½ MOA with a 20" barrel. Love it for deer hunting in our tight woods.

A lot of guys claim the Marlin .22 are excellent shooters for the money also.

Last edited:
   / Cheap firearms ?????? #10  
I have a Single Six & Colt in 22, nice guns that i bought years ago for around $250 for both of them. If i were looking today, i'd probably give the Heritage a real good look.

Ronnie