Fencing Garden w/ Tractor Access

/ Fencing Garden w/ Tractor Access #1  

TheSpoon

Silver Member
Tractor
LS 4046H
Looking for ideas for fencing a "large" garden.

We whipped up a semi-temporary 50'x40' garden and surrounded it with 6' field fencing w/ T-posts since we have plenty of deer (and other garden-eating wildlife on our 10 acres). Our only access was through a 4' opening between the posts where we just rolled the fencing back and secured with clips when we weren't out there. I hadn't needed tractor access prior since I broke up the ground and tilled prior to putting up the fence. However, since the garden was a success this year, we're looking to build on it, which includes using the tractor (LS XR4046) for more of the tasks, tilling/weeding especially. So I'm curious what others do to have "easy" tractor access to their garden, while still keeping animals out?

Reference:
20160517_173123.jpg20160521_174843.jpg20161031_152333.jpg

/ Fencing Garden w/ Tractor Access #2  
I don't know how it would work with the fence you have, but I use electric fence and set it up so that the ends can be detached from the sides of the garden and laid back over to the side. That lets me till through front to back, then I just haul the fence back and hook it up.

/ Fencing Garden w/ Tractor Access #3  
In your last picture it looks like you have some "fence panels". For this application, I think I would just space a couple of posts for a panel and wire that in place. A swinging gate is too much work.

/ Fencing Garden w/ Tractor Access #4  
I used one of the gates fromTSC for my wife's garden and made a wooden walkway gate.
P5250009.JPG

/ Fencing Garden w/ Tractor Access #5  
I have 40' X 100' garden AND Deer.
I had some old chainlink gates that I put on the end of the side.
I didn't put them on the end because of having horses in the pasture.
I can get in with my 3510 Branson but when it's time to change crops other crops growing are in the way.
And I loose about 10' at the end for room to maneuver.
I have an old Crapsman Garden tractor and was just today looking at how I can mount an old tiller to the back of it so I can get in around other still growing crops. ???

Attachments

• Ranch Garden 4.JPG
    Ranch Garden 4.JPG
    731 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCN0862.JPG
    DSCN0862.JPG
    718.4 KB · Views: 149
   / Fencing Garden w/ Tractor Access
I don't know how it would work with the fence you have, but I use electric fence and set it up so that the ends can be detached from the sides of the garden and laid back over to the side. That lets me till through front to back, then I just haul the fence back and hook it up.

I might have to think about that after the garden gets moved. Going with a narrower, longer garden (say 20'x100') I could make 2 runs front to back and not lose any space in the garden turning around. This space lost has been my "big" concern.

In your last picture it looks like you have some "fence panels". For this application, I think I would just space a couple of posts for a panel and wire that in place. A swinging gate is too much work.

I do have a few cattle panels, however, they are only 4' tall, and my concern is that the deer will attempt to jump over them (it's also what we use for our beans and other climbers in the garden) and still eat up everything. The 6' fence appears to have done the job in not allowing that this year.

20160618_081941.jpg

I have 40' X 100' garden AND Deer.
I had some old chainlink gates that I put on the end of the side.
I didn't put them on the end because of having horses in the pasture.
I can get in with my 3510 Branson but when it's time to change crops other crops growing are in the way.
And I loose about 10' at the end for room to maneuver.
I have an old Crapsman Garden tractor and was just today looking at how I can mount an old tiller to the back of it so I can get in around other still growing crops. ???

The "losing the space at the end to maneuver" is my concern and the current issue with the garden as to why I don't already own a tiller for the tractor. I used my neighbors walk-behind tiller this year, but would like to get away from asking him to borrow it 2 or 3 times a year (I don't like being dependant on others). We have a... craftsman garden tractor also that I purchased last year that I could see about getting a tiller for also if it comes to it, but I'd get a lot more use out of one for my LS instead.

/ Fencing Garden w/ Tractor Access #9  
I am planning to start a garden next year. I was thinking about using the plastic post for electric fence and just do a few strands of hot wire around it. I could easily pull a post or two and make and opening for the tractor.

Step-In Poly Fence Post, 48 in. - For Life Out Here

/ Fencing Garden w/ Tractor Access #10  
I might have to think about that after the garden gets moved. Going with a narrower, longer garden (say 20'x100') I could make 2 runs front to back and not lose any space in the garden turning around. This space lost has been my "big" concern.

Comparing size of garden to size of tractor I don't see how you can turn around (or weed). Seems like if you want to till with your tractor, make the area rectangular like you mention, with one of the short sides of the fence (and posts) easily removable.