Wifi range

/ Wifi range #11  
I second that. My BIL has a similar situation in town.

Going from pin to pin (his office to his house)
mikes.JPG
it's about 150 yards with some vegetation.
He's been running it for about 5 years, basically using his practice's internet for ALL his internet.

/ Wifi range #14  
There are very likely many, many members who know more about this than I do. However, I had a problem with getting a wifi signal in our gym which was about 50 feet from the house and about 110 feet from the modem-router. I tried signal boosters located at the other end of the house, access points and moving things around. Nothing worked. So, finally I bit the bullet and ran an ethernet cable from the modem-router all the way to the gym. Fortunately, I had already run a pvc underground conduit for a satellite tv cable and with a fish tape I was able to pull the new ethernet cable. Cable was not that expensive, tho I had to buy an new crimping tool for the cable. It now works perfectly.

Last edited:
   / Wifi range #15  
I share my Internet with my neighbor about a quarter mile away. We use Engenius. I don't have the patience, but my friend does. He has spent untold days trying to troubleshoot that stuff. I can't see my own tower where the Internet comes in, so we used to send it to his place first, then back to mine. It worked good for a while, although took days to get it set up, but finally nothing but trouble.

That's when I just got coax and Verocity High Wire Media Converters. Now he, is on his own and I have a wonderful and reliable connection.

Even my IT friends don't know the terminology that Engenius uses. The most user unfriendly stuff out there. And we had radio failures to boot. Most under warranty, but neither of us can climb the tower (for fear) to the fifty or so foot mark, so it's a PITA when the radios fail.

Last time, we sent a young girl up the tower.

/ Wifi range #16  
Another vote for the Eugenius products.

I had almost the exact same situation. My shop is 270 ft from the house. Down hill with the metal barn in the way. If I stood on the roof of my shop, I could get a very weak and unreliable Wifi signal from Nighthawk router in the house.

I put one of these on a pole on the roof of the shop (same pole as the weather station) and bingo, I have internet in the shop that performs just like the internet in the house:

Amazon.com: EnGenius 11n 2.4GHz Wireless Ethernet Bridge/Access Point (ENH22): ENGENIUS: Computers & Accessories

The set up is a little confusing at first, bust I found some instructions on the internet (maybe even on one of the Amazon reviews) that made it easy.

/ Wifi range #17  
I bought a high power USB wifi adapter on ebay. I can access my neighbor's wifi which is in his house 300' away from inside my house. It picks up many signals that the built in wifi in my notebook can't see. I use it sitting in my car to access free wifi hotspots in town without having to go inside the building. It has an antenna about 15" long. Only cost about $20 as I remember.

/ Wifi range #18  
I installed the Engenious products to watch our 8 barn cameras. They work well, even though after about a week the cameras overload the Ethernet Switch in the barn and I have to restart the Ethernet switch. I'm in the process of installing another for a customer and their barn, I then have another set to install at a business so that he can use the Internet at his house, and also putting a proposal together to use another one for a barn camera system.

/ Wifi range #19  
Cabling is always better, but lightning can play havoc with that approach. I needed to run beyond what CAT 5 is good for, so I use RG 6 coax with Media Converters at each end back to Eithnernet. I put lightning protection at each end of the coax.
I need to run about 750 feet and was considering this approach. Which media converter did you use as well as the lightning protection

/ Wifi range #20  
I bought a high power USB wifi adapter on ebay. I can access my neighbor's wifi which is in his house 300' away from inside my house. It picks up many signals that the built in wifi in my notebook can't see. I use it sitting in my car to access free wifi hotspots in town without having to go inside the building. It has an antenna about 15" long. Only cost about $20 as I remember.

Got a link?