Wifi range

/ Wifi range #1  

Kenneth in Texas

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 4wd, FEL
Here's the scenerio: I have a satellite dish for internet. I have a metal building, I have a house with hardi-board siding. Modem is in the house. I need a signal from the house to my metal building which is 250' away from the house with a clear line of site. Satellite is almost half way in between house and metal building.

What the best/easiest/cheapest way to do this?

/ Wifi range #2  
I ran underground cat 5 cable to ours and put in a wireless router. If it isn't underground cable with shielding if you have any lightning in the area it will fry the cable. Our router has been hit twice but the cable is fine. Ours is 110 feet.

Last edited:
   / Wifi range #3  
I have the same setup except i am closer to 275 feet. I ran cat 5 in buried conduit between the buildings. The phone company modem has a wireless plugged into it and the cat 5 plugged into it also. Have a wireless on the end of the cat 5. Great coverage in each building and in good coverage in between them.

/ Wifi range #5  
I had the same problem and fixed it was a WiFi extender. It's basically a WiFi repeter. They range from about $40 to $100.

/ Wifi range #6  
Cabling is always better, but lightning can play havoc with that approach. I needed to run beyond what CAT 5 is good for, so I use RG 6 coax with Media Converters at each end back to Eithnernet. I put lightning protection at each end of the coax.

/ Wifi range #9  
Not tough, but not nearly as good (fast).

/ Wifi range #10  
Not tough, but not nearly as good (fast).

Totally depends, some people do 50mi point to point, although that's usually with more than 5 watts and on something lower than 2.4/5Ghz.

OP: Look into directional antennas + router with a SMA connection. You'll need one on each end pointing at each other but 250ft with a clear line of sight should be doable.