Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog?

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #1  

CCWKen

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford-3910, JD-420C, Kenbota-Custom, IH-2606
We've had an unusual number of wild hogs going through the property lately. One scared the bejeebers out of me while I was out back fixing up the long neglected shooting range. (Midmorning and bright sun.) I had a arm load of lumber and when the brush and ground started shaking, I about pooped my pants. I thought we had wild elephants or something. Fortunately, he took off the opposite direction. I say HE because momma would probably have charged at me. Carrying around a 30-30 isn't manageable so I'm wondering if a 45 ACP would convince one to change direction? I usually carry a 9mm when going to the barn or out back at night but I think that would be like throwing rocks at them. I've never hunted hog so I don't know much about what to use. I sure don't want to have to sling a rifle everywhere I go on the place.

As a note; I hear 300-400 pounders are common. Some reach the high side of a half ton in size so we're talking about some good sized game. :eek:

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #2  
We've had an unusual number of wild hogs going through the property lately. One scared the bejeebers out of me while I was out back fixing up the long neglected shooting range. (Midmorning and bright sun.) I had a arm load of lumber and when the brush and ground started shaking, I about pooped my pants. I thought we had wild elephants or something. Fortunately, he took off the opposite direction. I say HE because momma would probably have charged at me. Carrying around a 30-30 isn't manageable so I'm wondering if a 45 ACP would convince one to change direction? I usually carry a 9mm when going to the barn or out back at night but I think that would be like throwing rocks at them. I've never hunted hog so I don't know much about what to use. I sure don't want to have to sling a rifle everywhere I go on the place.

As a note; I hear 300-400 pounders are common. Some reach the high side of a half ton in size so we're talking about some good sized game. :eek:

Well, as you know, it is on the light side. I have seen plenty of whitetail deer shot with .45acp and that works out pretty well. I personally know an old Air force fella that shot a Polar Bear with a .45acp with military ball ammo and he lived to tell the tale and the bear didn't. It took 7 rounds though. Shot placement would be critical and keep on shooting. A nice double stack pistol would be good for the extra rounds.:)

I would much prefer to be armed with my Ruger Red Hawk 5 inch .44Magnum. A lot more gun for not a whole lot more weight, and certainly is packable. What you want is what is called a "perfect packing pistol". Something that is packable but powerful. But all that said, I would rather have the .45 with some Hornady Critical Duty rounds (more penetration than critical defense) than your 9mm. But I would rather have my .44 than either.

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #3  
Yes it will, but don't use anything hollow point. Bear loads have a large blunt face to the rounds that hit hard and break bones. I would find a hot load, with a lead bullet and a blunt face. Like shown below...

842378.jpg

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #4  
A pissed off wild hog deserves respect. The 45 ACP might work if a charging 500 lb. boar was 10 feet away and you managed a head shot....not likely. Instead consider a .44 Magnum.

Last edited:
   / Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #5  
Sounds like with a lot of hogs available, try it several times as an expierment and let us know.... it I think it will definitely work for you.

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #6  
A 45 ACP might work if a charging 500 lb. boar was 10 feet away and you managed a head shot....not likely. Instead consider a .44 Magnum.

I don't know about you but lugging a 44 mag around is not my idea of fun. The gun has to be something a person does not mind lugging around all day. Make the bullet fit the situation, don't make the gun fit because more often than not a person will just opt not to bring it.

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #7  
I once bought a .45 (ACP) Stainless S&W Auto. Maybe a 645 I recall. Couldn't wait to get it home. Got out of my work van, chambered a round and fired into a pile of firewood. A split second later, the round hit me in the shoulder. No harm done, fortunately.

I know. STUPID thing to do. We fired a lot of different rounds into a lot of different things and materials. That .45 just never impressed me much.

I can't believe the US used it as standard issue for so long.

Last edited:
   / Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #8  
I don't know about you but lugging a 44 mag around is not my idea of fun. The gun has to be something a person does not mind lugging around all day. Make the bullet fit the situation, don't make the gun fit because more often than not a person will just opt not to bring it.

Not fun but when the situation is a charging wild boar the proper bullet fit is a .44 magnum. Stopping power is required or settle for Plan B ... bend over and kiss your azz goodbye.

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #10  
10mm is making a comeback, and with full power loads for hunting coming out. If you're a 1911 guy, that's doable on your platform. (there are 10mm Glocks, too ;))

BIG +1 on Snobdds' suggestion to avoid HPs in .45 ACP, (Hunting loads vs PD loads.) TCFMJ vs FMJRN if you stick with the .45. (also Bufalo Bore if you don't 'roll your own' ammo)

btw, OT but practice for charging ___s: Tie each end of 50'-75' of rope to a milk crate and the golf cart or quad. Stand behind the tow vehicle facing the MC. At the word 'go' set your driver in motion and see what you can do. Keep score. :D