Too much guano: Getting Bats out of barn - ideas?

/ Too much guano: Getting Bats out of barn - ideas? #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
I have heard, understand, and agree with many of the arguments that bats are good to have around for insect control. But that does not change the fact that with bats you get bat guano. And we get a lot of bat guano. And bat guano can be unhealthy. So, what is an efficient way to evict the bats.

First - the bats I am concerned about live in the barn - a very big barn which doubles as a shop, storage rooms, loft, and more. It is an older wooden barn with many ways to enter and exit so sealing up every possible entry way is really impossible.

Second - I think I know where they roost within the barn - or at least a bunch of them. I know this because once I sprayed up in that area (hidden up behind some rafters) with a stream of wasp insecticide and about a dozen bats came out and scared the s@#t out of me.

Third - I have learned that where they crap is not where they roost - it seems they feed at night, crap in a few areas (typically the same few areas) and then roost elsewhere.

Fourth - I caught one on a hanging sticky trap - the kind used to capture flying insects.

The bat guano is not a small problem - we place large tubs where they crap and the crap can get to be several inches thick.

I don't care if I offend PETA - they don't have to deal with the guano. I am looking into those devices that repel critters with sound but don't have a lot of confidence that they work.

As there is not any real market for bat guano I need help. Any ideas?

Last edited:
   / Too much guano: Getting Bats out of barn - ideas? #2  
I've heard there are battery powered sonic devices that will repel bats. A Google search might reveal such devices.......

It might also help to build & locate a bat house where they won't be so offensive.

/ Too much guano: Getting Bats out of barn - ideas? #3  
Since bats use sound to locate things, it would seem that one of those ultrasonic critter repellent devices would work. The question is which one to try??

/ Too much guano: Getting Bats out of barn - ideas?
I have researched three different electronic - sound emitting machines for bats. Reviews are mixed. I may have to give on a try. It is a very large barn so may need one that will handle that. It is amazing to compare the size of one with the wings spread to the size of one all tucked in.

/ Too much guano: Getting Bats out of barn - ideas? #5  
I have researched three different electronic - sound emitting machines for bats. Reviews are mixed. I may have to give on a try. It is a very large barn so may need one that will handle that. It is amazing to compare the size of one with the wings spread to the size of one all tucked in.

The neighbor had bats in the knee wall space of his roof.

Went on for a few years, then he put a common window fan in the space. The bats left. 'don't know if it was the sound or the rushing air. It was not a barn though....;-)

/ Too much guano: Getting Bats out of barn - ideas? #6  
Any way you can fill the barn with smoke? Don't know, but might be worth a try.

/ Too much guano: Getting Bats out of barn - ideas? #7  
No Market??

Bat guano is a fantastic soil amendment used by gardeners and indoor growers. I suspect if you put an ad on craigslist for your bat guano you would be surprised with the response as it is very popular, especially in your part of the world. Everyone form marijuana growers to organic vegetable gardeners uses that stuff.

THis is just a quick search on e-bay.
bat guano | eBay

/ Too much guano: Getting Bats out of barn - ideas? #8  
.22 caliber bird shot works. It's powerful enough to kill the bats but it wont put a hole in the roof. However, bird shot ruins the barrel's rifling so use an inexpensive gun.

/ Too much guano: Getting Bats out of barn - ideas? #9  
Bats like to sleep in dark places. Put energy efficient LED lighting in all of the dark places. They'll find another place to sleep and it won't increase your electric bill or fire hazard risk significantly.

/ Too much guano: Getting Bats out of barn - ideas?
Thanks guys - for all the suggestions. I will get to work on some scheme or other. Re the light suggestion - I was once thinking about a strobe light of some kind but then forgot about it. I like a challenge. Have to prove I am smarter than the bats.

Re the suggestion for selling bag guano on Craigslist. . .well, I think I will pass on that one. Harvesting bat guano, packaging it and dealing with the selling and all that. . .not for me.