Digital Speedometer for Cars and Trucks

/ Digital Speedometer for Cars and Trucks #1  

kcflhrc

Veteran Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 3032E
So my wife decided she wanted a 2nd vehicle to keep the miles off of our new truck, good idea, right? So we bought a 2009 VW Tiguan, great vehicle, she loves it. All except the analog Speedometer. It's very hard to read and the increments are lets say less than desirable. The 2009 doesn't have a way to display a Digital speedo in the Multi Function Display. So Saturday we made our yearly trek to the local Sears store for Christmas shopping this year. I see this Heads Up Display Digital Speedo and Tach thing made by Whistler, the radar detector people. It says will work with 1996 or newer vehicles with the OBD II port for diagnostics. On sale for $50. So I buy one to see if it will work. Works fantastic. This thing is really cool. You set it up on the dash and it reflects your speed and tach onto the lower part of the windshield. The wife loves it and it is very cool. Anyway, for anyone wanting a digital speedo I highly recommend this.

/ Digital Speedometer for Cars and Trucks #2  
Any smartphone navigation program will give your actual speed. Some of our vehicles are right on, some are minus. YMMV.

Virtually all motorcycle speedos read 7-9% slow: it appears to be an industry agreement. Cars, not so much.

/ Digital Speedometer for Cars and Trucks
Any smartphone navigation program will give your actual speed. Some of our vehicles are right on, some are minus. YMMV.

Virtually all motorcycle speedos read 7-9% slow: it appears to be an industry agreement. Cars, not so much.

I guess if you want to stare at your phone while you are driving that's just great. This devices accuracy is adjustable and I matched it to my DigiHUD App on my phone which is GPS true speed. And this is a separate unit powered by the OBD port so you can still text and drive.:laughing:

/ Digital Speedometer for Cars and Trucks #4  
My gps displays speed, sits on dashboard, I don't have to look down.

I'm happy for you but she didn't need a GPS unit

/ Digital Speedometer for Cars and Trucks #6  

That,s interesting. With snowmobile speedos, in fifty years I have never seen one read low, they are all about 10-15 percent high. I guess they figured nobody would ever run them by a radar gun and to most people, more muffler noise = more speed.

Yep, I hear that Harley Davidson and Yamaha talk regularly about this. :laughing:

/ Digital Speedometer for Cars and Trucks #8  
I bought a new 1985 Honda Aspencade (motorcycle) and it had a digital speedometer that was quite accurate. How many are old enough to remember when many car speedometers were not very accurate? When I started in law enforcement in 1964, our Ford squad cars had the speedometer checked at least monthly and a sticker placed on the dash showing actual speed at different speedometer shown speeds.

I sure do like the digital speedometer on my 2015 Ford F150 Super Crew. But I recently bought a 2012 Ford Escape that doesn't have a digital speedometer; just the analog speedometer.