Removing fence posts with concrete

/ Removing fence posts with concrete #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I need to remove several fence posts that are set in concrete. My tractor has a fel but not forks. Any suggestions regarding best/easiest way to accomplish the task.

/ Removing fence posts with concrete #2  
Use the 3 point hitch to start. Probably twice the lifting capacity. Then use the FEL to finish the job and tote the post off.

/ Removing fence posts with concrete #3  
The easiest way if you have an auger is to dig a hole beside the post and then pull the post over into the new hole as much as possible and then lift it out. If you don't have an auger you can do it with post hole diggers, sounds a lot harder than it really is.

The way we do it in the trade is to take a bar and split the concrete which allows the post to be extracted most of the time if it is metal. If the new post has to be in the same location then we dig the hole beside the post and pull it. It's just work.

/ Removing fence posts with concrete #5  
I've pulled a few for neighbors, one was particulary tough, had to soak it with a hose for a while. If it's metal, put a couple brace bands on it to keep the chain from slipping up. If you have something like a railroad tie handy, you can use that for a lever to increase your lift capacity.

/ Removing fence posts with concrete #6  
Where I can't get the tractor, digging a hole alongside is still the easiest way to get the post loose.

Bruce

/ Removing fence posts with concrete #7  
If the post is wood, I don't have a tractor around, I screw a short length of wood to the side of the post and use a bottle jack to get it out. If it's metal, I drill a hole through it and insert a bolt with enough sticking out to get the bottle jack under it.

/ Removing fence posts with concrete #10  
Wrap a chain as low as you can around the post so it chokes it, run the chain over the top of an old truck wheel and attach it to your tractor and drive. The wheel changes the horizontal motion of the chain to vertical and pulls it up. Not saying you won't have to wiggle it a bit to get it started.
Pulling 4x4 Fence Posts - YouTube .........Mike