Water Pump Recommendations

/ Water Pump Recommendations #1  

HiQ

Tractor
N/A
Hey Everyone! I'm new here and I'm hoping I can pick some of your brains. I purchased an acreage just over a year ago and it is serviced with a well water.

Everything has been perfect, but it sounds like the water pump is louder than when we first got here. We've had no other issues, but I'm thinking it would be best to have a replacement water pump ready to go if something was to happen to this one (only source of water).

Upon looking at the pump, it's an old Jacuzzi unit from the 90s (definitely got their money worth from it). I managed to find the same pump, but it's now made by Franklin. It is the Frankin Convertible Jet Pump, cast-iron, c-series, FE07CI-C (can't post the link due to post count sorry).

I realize I could just purchase the exact same pump, but I've only found them at a few places and they're $600 USD or more. I would like to find a less expensive backup pump and was hoping some of you might have a suggestion. I did find the Red Lion, premium cast-iron shallow well jet pump, RJS-75-PREM. It seems to do a little less GPM, but that just means the pump will run longer when it does kick in?

Sorry I don't have any good information as to how deep the water is, etc. We have a large pressure tank and the pump generally only runs for a short period of time each cycle. Thanks!

/ Water Pump Recommendations
IMO as a water well professional Goulds makes the best jet pumps.

If the well is big enough (3" casing or above ) you should investigate putting in a submersible pump.

Thank you very much! I know nothing about the well as it's probably not the easiest to get to with the amount of snow we have now. I'll cross my fingers this thing runs till Spring and then look at maybe moving to a submersible. So the only real thing I'd have to worry about is the casing size and then getting power to the well? Seems very doable.

/ Water Pump Recommendations #4  
Curious how the well is kept from freezing? You would need to put in a pitless adapter.

/ Water Pump Recommendations #6  
Does Canada use the same current as the USA ? The US is 60 cycle

/ Water Pump Recommendations #7  
[video]https://www.google.ca/search?q=shallow+well+jet+pump&client=safari&hl=en-ca&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE0tqGoJnRAhVLxoMKHQpqA0oQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=681#imgrc=3ba-MJxAWeSnIM%3A[/video]

Are you set up for shallow well or jet pump operation. The shallow well will only have one line to the well.

Can we assume the pump is accessible and in the house? If accessible either type of pump can just be switched out without access to the well head. That is unless there are foot valve or educator problems. Priming can be a pain.

If wanting to switch to a submersible it would be wise to check the flow rate and water quality.

/ Water Pump Recommendations #9  
It would help if you described the pumps location in relation to where you think the well might be. That and the number of pipes leading out to the well from the pump. One or two? The horsepower will help to determine the depth of the well in some cases. Is the pump horizontal or vertical?

/ Water Pump Recommendations
Whoa! I missed all these replies. Sorry everyone.

So I did some more googling and I guess it's a dug well that we have. It looks like a 3' culvert vertical down into the ground. I can't remember the last time I looked in there, so I'll try and get to it sometime in the next while. I'd like to get a distance to water and depth of water measurement sometime also. The jet pump is in our basement utility room that's probably 150-200' away. It is fed by a single 1-1/4" black pipe so a shallow well setup.

I assume it would be possible to hang a submersible pump from the top, right? Or get a 4-6" pipe and put it in there and put some holes in the pipe below the pump and lower that down in? I'd just have to worry about getting power to the well, which would involve trenching a new line in there somehow. There is a 110v circuit about 50' away, but I assume 220v is the way to go (less wear on motor?).

Or I could just get a nice shallow well jet pump (Gould?) and be done with it, but then we still have a loud jet pump in our basement. Are any of them quieter? I guess we still have an ejector (effluent) pump that runs periodically as well down there (but it seems quieter than the water pump and runs wayyy less often).

What would you guys recommend? Stick with the simpler jet pump setup or put in the work trenching a wire an get a submersible setup? What's the price difference on the pumps? We do have a water coop that we could pay $10M for hookup fee and then trench that in instead (wouldn't need our softener setup any more either). I think the water coop is the eventual answer, but $10M plus trenching/piping/connection is a lot for the time being.