Query for you rural well users.....

/ Query for you rural well users..... #1  

Retiredguy2

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 4410
We live in a suburban area that does not yet provide water service, so our source comes from a 220' deep well drilled 14 years ago. The water supplied from the well is fairly good quality and although we use a filter/softener/filter before the water gets to the faucets (aside from the outside faucets) we never drink it. For the coffeemakers and our personal consumption, plus the drinking water supplied to out 4 cats we have always used purchased water in gallon jugs. At 2-2.5 gallons per week, the yearly cost comes to about $110 per year. To us that expense is well worth it. Sometimes I wonder if others with well water do the same thing we do...by the way, I was purchasing bottled water to use here LONG before the incident with contaminated water happened in Flint, Michigan...60 miles away. Even if our water supply was from a municipal source I would still want to use bottled water for drinking. Any comments?

/ Query for you rural well users..... #2  
We have a 140 foot well. We also use a filter (Carbon, not pleated) and water softener, but use ours for drinking and cooking. Never had a problem.

/ Query for you rural well users..... #3  
We have great tasting well water here. We use it for everything.

/ Query for you rural well users..... #4  
If you're concerned about the quality of your water have it tested. We'll be on well water in a a couple of months and I'm looking forward to it. I'll also be using a filter system more to eliminate particulates than anything else.

/ Query for you rural well users..... #5  
We use well here in Tennessee. For drinking (including cats), we run it through a R/O filter system. We love it. Our water is slightly acidic, so it can ruin a copper pipe distribution system, so the majority is CPVC in the house.

/ Query for you rural well users.....
If you're concerned about the quality of your water have it tested. We'll be on well water in a a couple of months and I'm looking forward to it. I'll also be using a filter system more to eliminate particulates than anything else.

Good point on your part but respectfully saying what with the costs involved in a good commercial water testing, it is not that much more costly for us to simply pay up front for drinking water. AND: I should have mentioned in the OP that there is farming involved on 3 sides of us, and they use a LOT of chemicals during the process. Perhaps I worry too much....? And that is the main reason we use a filter/softener, water here is quite hard, with lime being the worst particulate.

/ Query for you rural well users..... #7  
Have drank well water all my life, I do not filter it. Its always been a farming area and never had any issues with Deep well getting contaminated, the shallow wells that were put down in the 40s and 50s do test higher levels of nitrates. every part of the country is different , have it tested if your concerned every county health dept ive ever known will test a sample if you want.

/ Query for you rural well users..... #8  
I, too am on a well and have no problem drinking the water. We cook with it, the animals drink it. Ours is 176' deep and runs through a softener.

/ Query for you rural well users..... #9  
It's odd how some people are afraid of drinking well water. We have a RO filter in the kitchen for drinking water and ice maker but my wife is the one who uses it. I just drink the regular well water, no problem. I can't imagine bringing in water in jugs for drinking, what a nightmare buying hundreds of jugs. Plus most bottled water is not from a spring, it's actually city water.
Is your bottled water coming from a faucet? - TODAY.com

The funniest part of this whole story is that you bring in jugs of filtered water for the cats. LOL.

Only a city slicker would buy bottled water for cats. Just sayin.

/ Query for you rural well users..... #10  
I have a shallow bored well. I added a calcite bed to bring up the PH. This summer I added a UV filter to kill any nasties that might be in the water. My wife drinks spring water in plastic gallons from the store. 3 gallons a week. I use the well water.

A normal adult human is supposed to drink about a half gallon a day. If they do work like muck stalls, mow the lawn, ride bicycles, run the dogs, a person might use a gallon or more a day. At 92 cents a gallon that adds up. Of course if you only have one human in your house buying water might be economical. We have 2 dogs and 7 horses. The horses would drink cases of water each. Maybe more than 5 galllons a day for each horse.

Yes I did have the well water tested twice for common contaminates.