Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

Default Re: I\'m a redneck because of my lunch?

I can't figure out why I keep coming back to this post. Each time I do I get a little hiccup [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] and each time I tell myself to stay away and then my curiosity gets the better of me and pretty soon I have that little hiccup [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] again. For Heaven's sake, doesn't anybody ever just eat a good ole PB and J for Lunch?? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Mike

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 855 MFWD; Oliver 1850 Gas

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( For Heaven's sake, doesn't anybody ever just eat a good ole PB and J for Lunch??)</font>

I eat probably 6-8 PB&amp;J sandwiches every week. I love it. My wife keeps saying she can't wait for the day I grow tired or it. Never will. I had PB&amp;J every day for breakfast as a kid from about 3rd grade through 12th grade.

Dave

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( doesn't anybody ever just eat a good ole PB and J for Lunch?? )</font>

Yep, sometimes. That's part of my problem; I eat everything in sight. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Tractor
    ford 1920 w/fel and bh, case 470, allis chalmers B 1937, JD 450 track loader, Case vac, 3 cub cadets ford lgt 125, Kubota 2230/60 inch mower.1948 farmall cub 1953 farmall cub

Pickled pig feet anybody? or maybe BBQ pig snoots?

Charlie

Tractor
    Mitsubishi D 1800

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hey Bird, try squash, green tomatoes and okra all fried together. MMMMMuMMMMM good [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )</font>

Kin I git a little mustards to go with that? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L210

I never got into eating brains of any kind. Now that we keep seeing new prions and such, I think I'll continue to stay away from the central nervous tissue as much as possible. I suppose I'd have to give up all varieties of sausage, unless made by someone I trust, to be sure I wasn't getting some.

Now, fried okra, squash, etc, sounds fine. I have liked the fried green tomatoes I have seldom had, but my family must never have had large quantities of green tomatoes around. We have used fried okra to disguise the squash so the kids would eat it. That's about the only way my boys would eat squash! I was just trying to decide where to put the okra in the garden this year. Fried okra! Gotta love it!

Chuck

Chuck, since I don't do any hunting anymore, I don't expect to have squirrels to eat all again, and since my wife not only won't eat calf brains and scrambled eggs, she won't even cook them, and in view of the reported possible health problems, I really doubt that I'll be eating any kind of brains in the future.

I've certainly eaten a lot of fried okra and squash together, but haven't ever cooked them together. My wife only wants okra fried, and I'm quite fond of it that way myself, but I also like a little pickled okra now and then, and even a little stewed okra occasionally. We're both very fond of fried squash; cut in medium to thin slices, dipped in beaten egg with a little salt and pepper, then into a flour/corn meal mix and fried. But we also like it steamed (or even boiled) with a little butter, salt, and pepper. And for reasons unknown to me, I like the yellow squash and zucchini cooked together better than either one alone, although I certainly won't turn down either one alone.

My wife also got a recipe from a neighbor in which she boils and mashes yellow squash, then mixes it with Stovetop Stuffing and bakes it for a tasty casserole.

Southaven, Ms now, Greers Ferry Ark later
    Tractor
    1955 Ford 640

Ok, I know this is an old post, but I just had to respond! I sure love me some fried green maters! My wife dips the slices in beaten egg yolks, dust them in 1/2 cornmeal, 1/2 flower that has been salted well and peppered, and fries em to a golden brown. Use ranch dressing for dipping! Eat em HOT. Can't beat em. My favorite okra recipe, bread young tender okra for frying, just before its done, add two fresh picked green cayene peppers chopped really fine, and a big red rip tomato diced finely. Cook it down and go to town!

As far as the squirell brains go, there was an older couple who used to come to our deer camp, who thought the brains were the best part of em! I just couldn't bring myself to even try them. Not only did they love the brains, but they would save the bones from all the squirells, parch them in the oven like you would peanuts, and crunch on em like they were chex mix????? Has anyone heard of anyone else doing this??? Of course, they also liked to drink whiskey straight, and chase it down with those sugar coated, jellied orange slices!!! I guess sometimes what you eat could make you a redneck. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Jack Pirtles Chicken in Memphis, has the absolute best fried livers and gizzards! Their gizzards are so tender, I would guess from pressure cooking before frying. They have been around since I was a small kid (over 40 years) but they are only a small, locally owned outfit.

Lastly, has anyone ever had "wilted" lettuce?? My mom used to fix it when I was a kid. Use leaf lettuce from the garden ( I would guess you could use any leaf type lettuce, or spinach for that matter) Add a chopped green onion to it. Salt &amp; Pepper. Fry about 5 slices of bacon till cripy, and crumble it up on the lettuce mix. Heat the bacon grease hot, but not till it smokes, and pour this over the lettuce and stir, so that it all wilts down. It's best if you eat it while its still warm, that way it evenly coats the arteries instead of clumping up in one spot! But dammmnnnn its gooooood! <font color="black"> </font> [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Ken

Ken, those fried green tomatoes are certainly good, but personally, I'd rather have squash (yellow summer squash, turban squash, or even zucchini) fixed the same way.

Naturally, I've eaten lots of fried okra, and that's the only way my wife wants okra although I'm also fond of pickled okra, and even like a little stewed okra occasionally. But I've not tried it with your recipe.

I've also eaten squirrel brains when I was a kid, but never the bones.

Never been to Jack Pirtles in Memphis, but sure do like fried gizzards. My wife won't eat'em, and lots of fried chicken places don't have them, so I usually get mine at Wal-mart; not the best in the world, but not bad. I used to eat occasionally at a Grandy's and they had an "all you can eat" dinner of livers and/or gizzards. Most of the Grandy's in our part of the country closed up, so I was surprised when they built a brand new restaurant about a mile from us last year. Then I learned yesterday that it's closed up and the place is for sale.

And it's been many years now since my Mother used to make the "wilted" salad as you described. I liked it then, but can't recall having it in over 45 years.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    MF 1455v

My Grandmother added a small amount of green tomatos or "maters" to her okra and pan fried it. That was sure good stuff.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast