Dumbest dog on earth!

/ Dumbest dog on earth! #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
When I was but a wee lad, we got a dog for Christmas. Not just any dog, but this dog. Named him spot because he had a couple of spots on him. Now, this dog was really messed up in his linage. He was part beagle and part bird dog. My dad always said he was a "Burgle". He didn't know whether to chase birds or point rabbits. He liked to chase cars and we could not keep him in a fence. He would climb the thing to escape. He would come home, every now and then, with his muzzle swollen up from a snake bite. As I mentioned, he liked to chase cars, just to chew on the tire. One day, a deputy sheriff was visiting his brother just down the road and when he left, he stopped in front of my house where me and spot were in the front yard. Of course spot took it as a great challenge to attack the patrol car tires. The deputy looked at me and said, "would you like me to stop him from chasing cars?". I said "sure". He opened the patrol car door and floored it. Spot was chewing on the front tire just in front of the door and he started hauling arse to escape his predicament. That door whacked him good and he went flying back into the front yard. Never chased a car again after that. My mother and neighbor lady would walk just about every evening in the summer. A couple of blocks around the neighborhood. They would laugh about spot. He would growl and act really menacing if another dog came out. But, he would make sure that they were between him and said dogs....just in case...lol More stories of "Spot", the dumbest dog on the planet to follow. :laughing:

Anyone else have a good story about such an animal?

/ Dumbest dog on earth! #2  
How about just a photo?

View attachment 493335

I put a treat on the other side, he could go around it or through it...

/ Dumbest dog on earth! #3  
Lets hear some more about spot!

/ Dumbest dog on earth! #4  
I had a golden retriever mix. One winter I was repairing some equipment in the barn. Goldy was shivering laying on a steel plate next to a pile of loose hay. She also was chased by neighborhood squirrels. She was the friendliest dog you ever met always wanted to be petted by strangers and never barked at them

/ Dumbest dog on earth! #5  
I was in a gab session a few years back about who had the dumbest dog amongst all of us.. Old Fred claimed the prize with his story about how old Zeke saw him crash through the ice at his pond. Zeke ran out there, grabbed Fred by the collar of his coat, dragged him up to the cabin, chewed open the door, poured out a cup of hot coffee (with cream and sugar) and carried it out to the porch to a shivering Fred.

We were all puzzled. That sounded like a real smart dog we all agreed until Fred informed us that he doesn't take cream and sugar in his coffee...

/ Dumbest dog on earth! #6  
Our brittany lucy..As you can see her favorite thing to do in the summer is taking a ride on our pontoon.She run in circles around the kitchen table about 100 miles an hour when we are ready to go on the pontoon..LOL..

Attachments

• IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 161
Last edited:
   / Dumbest dog on earth! #7  
Had a dog take off running around the house on a moonless night... right into a tree and broke her neck.

/ Dumbest dog on earth!
When spot was a year old or so, he would walk my two sisters about 3 blocks up to bus stop for school (high school and jr. high)...then he would return to the house and walk me about a mile to the elementary school (about half of that was just an old dirt road across a train track that went by a gravel pit). Lordy, people would never let their kids walk that far to school today! Maybe why the kids are so dang fat too. Anyway, spot would do the same things in reverse in the afternoon. Come to get me and then go back for them. Quite an arrangement for a dog to figure out. I do remember when I was in the fourth grade, that at the end of the school year it would be the end of May. Well, we didn't have no AC like these spoiled kids do now days. So the big old school windows and doors to go out would be propped open. Well, one day you know who comes trotting by several open classroom doors until he sniffed me out and came right on in the room and laid under my desk until the bell rang to go home. The other kids were sort of amazed that he could come that far and into the school with probably around 25 classrooms and find me. Well, around May was the siren call of the mating season for dogs around here. We were out on the playground playing baseball during recess and you know who had done hooked up with a female you know what. Well, this female had clamped down really tight and he had to follow her around doggy style on the playground for some time. Hard to walk on two back legs and....well, you know. :laughing: Kids got quite a lesson that day on "coupling of dogs". Now days the parents would be a gasp at such goings on. These new age kids would probably wonder, "Why is he doing that"? :confused2:

/ Dumbest dog on earth! #9  
Our brittany lucy..As you can see her favorite thing to do in the summer is taking a ride on our pontoon.She run in circles around the kitchen table about 100 miles an hour when we are ready to go on the pontoon..LOL..

That is one happy dog!

/ Dumbest dog on earth!
Alright, here's another "Spot" story. Maybe not so dumb after all. In the winter it's usually fairly mild down here. Around 50's high and 30's low. Spot would stay outside until it got very cold, like in the low 30's-20's. One fine cold day, it was going to be about 20F that night so spot got to come in at dark. we would go to bed around 9 or so and he was....supposed...to sleep on the kitchen rug by the back door. Well, this went on for several nights. I got up about 6 to get ready for elementary school and I would get a glass of milk and sit on the couch. I noticed that it was very warm where I was sitting. Spot was on the rug where he was supposed to be every morning. I asked my mother if she had been sitting there before I got up and she said no. This happened a couple of times so I devised a plan to catch the "culprit" that I suspected. That night spot came in and faithfully laid down on his rug by the back door. My mother and I said good night to each other as we went through the hallway to our rooms. Turned off the lights and made a big deal of "good night"....then quietly hid in the hallway to watch for the varmint. Boy that trap sprang quick too. He laid there a few minutes and then lifted his head to look around and purty as you please, he got up and trotted to the couch and plopped his behind down....right where I would sit in the morning. Of course we threw on the lights and he looked like the proverbial deer in the headlights. He got scolded and locked in the kitchen from then on. He was smart enough to do it when we went to bed and then jump down and go to his rug when he heard the alarm clock go off... Maybe, just maybe he wasn't as dumb as I thought he was....that couch was surely more comfortable than laying on a thin rug by the door. :laughing: