Burning White Pine

/ Burning White Pine #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I have three white pine trees about ten inches in diameter that are growing too close to my lean-to so I want to cut them down before they blow over in a storm and hit the building. Being pine they are no good for fire wood so I just want to cut them down and burn them. Here is my question,,,, will they burn on a brush pile fire if they are cut down and burned that same day or should I cut them down and let them try and dry for a month or so. I would really like to get this job done in the next two months or so while there is snow on the ground. Anyone ever burn green pine before? RRM

/ Burning White Pine #2  
Better to cut it now while the pitch isn't running, block it up, split it, stack it, tarp it and next winter it will burn great, fast and hot. Try to burn it now and it will take to muck diesel fuel.

Better yet if not full of nails, put it into lumbar........

/ Burning White Pine #3  
The needles and small branches will burn fine while green if you throw them on top of a small hot fire (a small seasoned pile of brush). The rounds will not burn as well unless you have a big hot fire that you throw them on to. To get it to all burn up in its own pile (with no other fuel), you will need to let it dry out.

/ Burning White Pine #4  
Know anyone with an outdoor wood boiler ? They are usually happy to take pine .

/ Burning White Pine #5  
Split it for firewood. As long as iit is well seasoned you just have feed the fire more often.

/ Burning White Pine #6  
You'll have a hard time to get it to burn in its own pile green. You'll be fine if it's on a hot pile.

/ Burning White Pine #7  
That's been my experience too. A couple old pallets, throw on the limbs then the big stuff and get it blazing hot. You'll have to keep pushing it together as it burns down. Pine burns much easier than hard wood in a brush pile. I vote go for it providing you have a SAFE place to let her rip.

/ Burning White Pine #8  
Cut it, split it, dry it and burn it next year.. I burn a lot of hemlock, kindling etc, I just make sure it's dry, never had a issue..

/ Burning White Pine #9  
Split it for firewood. As long as iit is well seasoned you just have feed the fire more often.

I use it in my garage/workshop. Burns fast & hot, which is what I want in a building that's only heated when I'm using it. Make sure it's good & dry, never had a problem with creosote.
Wouldn't use it in the house other than for kindling.

/ Burning White Pine #10  
Pine is fine for firewood if seasoned, it just has less BTU per lb than hardwood. You could sell it unseasoned as camp wood if there's a market, or someone may take it free on Craigslist. Otherwise let it sit a bit, green it probably won't burn all the way on a pile unless mixed with dry stuff.