What do you keep the thermostat at inside the house in the winter?

/ What do you keep the thermostat at inside the house in the winter? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
And is it effective?

All temps in degrees Fahrenheit

There are so many threads on effective ways to lower heating costs. But it all boils down to how much heat you need.

I'm sitting here in my living room comfortably typing, SWMBO is in the chair next to me reading and using my IR thermometer gun the temp on the floor is 58, the ceiling is 60 and most of the objects around me between the two. SWMBO says she's comfortable, and when we get up and move around we warm up. Temp outside is 30. The thermostat is set at 62, but it's two rooms away in the core of the house.

We let it get cooler at night, but I have not checked with my thermometer. But generally it's warm enough so you don't see your breath.

I've read so many advice clips where people are told things like
"To achieve optimal comfort, it is recommended for homeowners to set their thermostats between 68 to 72 degrees while there are people inside of the home."
here
In the winter, you can save energy and keep your costs in check by keeping your thermostat at 68 degrees Fahrenheit while you are at home during the daytime.
here

I'm pretty sure now that we've gradually adjusted from the 76-80 in the summer if I turned it up to 68 now SWMBO would be complaining it's too hot.

I've found that the closer I can keep the temp inside to the temp outside the less we mind going outside.

But when relatives come to visit I've learned to crank up the heat to decrease complaints.

So what's your temp set at compared to your outside temps? I realize some of you in Florida might have to run the a/c to get it DOWN to 68 :)

/ What do you keep the thermostat at inside the house in the winter? #2  
71 here

/ What do you keep the thermostat at inside the house in the winter? #3  
65 any more heat needed is provided via the wood stove.

/ What do you keep the thermostat at inside the house in the winter? #4  
Thermostat? We don' have no thermostat. I don' gotta set no steeenking thermostat!

Wood heat. We keep it in the low 70s, usually about 74.

/ What do you keep the thermostat at inside the house in the winter? #5  
We keep it at 70. (propane warm air furnace)

If we want ambiance we fire up the pellet stove and give the furnace a rest.

/ What do you keep the thermostat at inside the house in the winter? #6  
Autoseason thermostats set for a range of 68 - 72 year round except for the bedrooms which drop to 68 - 70 at night.

/ What do you keep the thermostat at inside the house in the winter? #7  
I'm on the Canadian border, I need wood and propane to heat my log house when it gets below 0F, otherwise the wood heats my house, I leave the propane thermostat at 68 and 74 if I need to leave overnight. I probably use 200 gallons of propane and six cord of wood..

/ What do you keep the thermostat at inside the house in the winter? #8  
We leave ours at 65 or so, but the thermostat is in hallway and the propane stove in the family room. Family room is 69-73 depending on several factors, such as which ceiling fans are on moving air. We have vaulted ceilings throughout and need the fans to move the heat. Bedrooms are cooler (wife likes 62, I like it warmer so I have a heated mattress pad). We heat with a single propane stove in central location and control temps in other rooms by what doors are open and what fans are running... No central air for summer, just a window AC and a Costco floor AC with exhaust pipe.. summer temps can be high 80s in hot parts of summer, but usually cool down at night.

/ What do you keep the thermostat at inside the house in the winter? #9  
Ours set at 67 night, 70 day. When running the fireplace, the downstairs temperature (thermostat is across the house from the fireplace) will usually hit 72-73 so the heat doesn't come on.

/ What do you keep the thermostat at inside the house in the winter? #10  
Thermostat is showing 84 in the living room right now. I let the Woodstoves go out one time since the end of November and that was just because we took the kids to Great Wolf Lodge indoor water park for a few days. Other than that, we stoke the Woodstock Fireview full of wood and enjoy the warmth.
That soapstone stays hot for a long time.

We also have a very drafted house with no insulation, so the rest of the house is much cooler. I've been in homes that are 65 degrees and felt hot to me. A lot depends on the home, and type of heat. For instance, forced hot air is terrible, about the worst possible way to heat a home if comfort is concerned.