California Drought

/ California Drought #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
I thought about posting this in the appropriate regional forum but it seems pretty dead there. I've been watching news on the California drought for the past few years. To say it's been bad is an understatement. Northern California seems to be out of the woods but Southern California is still in extreme drought as of this posting. Back on December 15, 2016 NOAA released a report predicting no relief for Southern California this winter. Now it seems they're going to get some albeit in the form of flooding in some areas. Washington state, Oregon, and Northern California is getting hammered with rain and snow right now and it's predicted to last into Thursday.

Are there any members or friends or family members affected by this flooding? Several rivers are predicted to breech major flood stage.

The rain is supposed to turn to snow in upper elevations soon and hopefully will help in drought recovery this summer.

Kevin

/ California Drought #2  
Snow pack in the Sierra is what they need, an it sounds like they are getting some. There's a lot of make-up to be done, though. It will take years of good winters before they are in good shape.

The water politics in California are staggeringly stupid. There is no reason they should not have enough reserves to see them through a 7 year drought.

/ California Drought #3  
Something I've never seen mentioned in CA or other coastal places is the use of a parallel water system for salt water or non-potable water for toilets, etc. in which quality wouldn't matter much, if any.

Use potable fresh water only where needed.

Bruce

/ California Drought #4  
Something I've never seen mentioned in CA or other coastal places is the use of a parallel water system for salt water or non-potable water for toilets, etc. in which quality wouldn't matter much, if any.

Bruce

What does salt water do to a septic tank if used in toilets? Good or bad?

/ California Drought #5  
I was just watching the weather. Most of California was in a flood warning shade on the map from the upcoming storm. Some of the same areas that are also in extreme drought. Only in California can a place be in a flood and a drought at the same time.

/ California Drought #6  

Bruce

Great idea. Somewhat ironic that California has a massive desalination plant which turns the water into drinkable quality so it can be used to flush a toilet.

/ California Drought #7  
What does salt water do to a septic tank if used in toilets? Good or bad?
I put a solution of salty water in my toilet 3 to 5 times a day. Except times like last month when I was having trouble with a leak in our water line and turned the water off. Then I was putting the solution out on the lawn :)

/ California Drought #8  

Bruce

I used to live there. Southern California does use a lot of recycled water in commercial buildings. It's sanitary, but not pretty. It's kind of greyish looking, but for flushing toilets, who cares?

/ California Drought #9  
I put a solution of salty water in my toilet 3 to 5 times a day. Except times like last month when I was having trouble with a leak in our water line and turned the water off. Then I was putting the solution out on the lawn :)

:D. Good one! Okay, what does SEAwater do to a septic tank if used to flush?

/ California Drought #10  
California is and will remain in a drought. California is incapable of solving its water issues. It has been raining for days - we have had about 8 inches in the last two weeks or so - and it is now raining heavily and will continue for several days - but it is going to into the ocean. Or rather, the water in the lakes which is being stored behind dams is now being released to the ocean so that there is room for the rain water pouring into the streams and flowing into the lakes. Agriculture interests have been trying to have more dams built for decades but it won't happen - all political. And it takes 10 plus years to get a dam approved and built and they have not even started. If there was sufficient water storage some of the problem could be alleviated.

But this is California - a state that is too big, partly a desert, and with too many diverse and competing interests. It is the cities vs the rural, north vs south, the farmers vs the environmentalists (Endangered Species Act). Some crops take an unbelievable amount of water to produce (one gallon for one almond, 20 gallons for one ounce of asparagus, 100 gallons per ounce of beef - or so it is reported). And environmentalists want to save every bug and fish that has ever been seen anywhere - or so it is reported. Both sides have detractors and supporters.

Many farmers have had to decide which of their fields or crops they will have to forget about. The artificial turf business is booming. Subsidies are given to homeowners who tear out their grass and put in xeriscape landscaping. The state's economy - which has a huge ag base has taken a multi-billion dollar hit.

There are mandatory reductions in most municipalities. And we all do all we can to save water. In the summer, we and most of our friends, family, and so on, really do try to save water - buckets in the shower to catch water for other uses and so on. But then it was reported that the mayor's LA resident used 2100 gallons a day for a while - so there's that. And we also stand around in amazement on the inability, or unwillingness, of the state to deal with it in meaningful ways - and its complicated by a mix of state and federal law and regulations.

I don't think LA residents get it yet - about how this water issue will move their way. But LA is in a desert - and tho it has been made green with water and lawns, that may all change.

There have been proposals to buy and pipe water from Canada and the Eastern US (where it floods) to California which, even if feasible, would require somewhere to store it.

I don't know what will happen, but I do know that the rain we get goes to the ocean.