Any woodworkers?

/ Any woodworkers? #1  

Kenneth in Texas

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 4wd, FEL
Been wanting a small wood working shop for 40 years so finally put one in. Currently just make small items while I learn the in/outs of all the machines.

What I need an experience woodworker to tell me is about Polyurathane OR a finish coat that provides a similar protection and the finish of poly. Right now I stain a piece of wood, let it dry then do a couple coats of poly. Is there a simpler way to achieve color and protection in one coat and not multiple ones? What exactly is varnish? Could it be a one coat process? Does it come in colors? How about poly, does it come in colors or tints? Sorry to be dumb on the finish coat subject but thats what im tackling this month :dance1:

/ Any woodworkers? #2  
nothing protects well in 1 coat . You didn't say in door or out doors . Everything has to be lightly sanded between coats except laquer it can be built up only need 1 hour drying time between coats.Your best bet is to read up on prouducts and teckniques in wood workers forum .Its a endless subject lots of varibales.:drink:

/ Any woodworkers? #3  
You are getting into a difficult subject to advise. Lots depend on the wood you are finishing, the look you are after and more. Beautiful finishes don't come with one coat. Stains are one thing, poly coats, sanding, multiple coats, sanding, and more sanding finer, bla, bla, bla. Really depends on the 'quality' of finish you are after but don't expect it to be a quick one coat application if you are looking for a furniture quality finish. Maybe you can describe the wood material and 'finish' you looking for? Sorry but there isn't a quick answer to your question.

/ Any woodworkers?
Sorry not to be more specific. Yes I sand between coats of the poly, usually with something in the neighborhood of 600 grit paper. Im not looking for a furniture quality finish, just a decent reasonable smooth finish. Just didnt know if there was something that you could brush on one coat and be done. All my items are indoor only.

/ Any woodworkers? #5  
I've never been able to get a real smooth coat when brushing poly, too thick leaves brush marks, too thin leaves run and thin spots. For anything approaching "furniture" quality, once I get the thing sanded down real good and stained, I spray the finish on, always at least two coats, most of the time I do three coats.

Most of the time I use one of the cheap HF HVLP sprayers

And you'll need a super clean place to spray it, I use a home made spray booth. If there's only one speck of dust within 200 feet of a project, it will land right in the middle of what you're coating.

/ Any woodworkers? #6  
I think one word sums up wood work & wood finishing.....patience....you have to have patience to wood work. I don't do a lot of wood work cause I don't have a lot of patience, lol.

/ Any woodworkers? #7  
I use poly, but I like to put it on with a rag, so I thin it down and put on several coats. It's quick and easy for small items. I have made some things, like wall mounted key holders that I just want to get finished fast, where I just used clear Shellac. I also like Tung oil finish. Easy to work with, but takes a little longer to dry. Some things I want to look really nice, I actually use a gun stock finish. Pretty labor intensive, because it requires several repeated steps: wet sanding and drying, rub down with 0000 steel wool, and repeat about 4 times with a final thin coat of poly.

Check these folks out:

Workshop Addict - Woodworking, Metal Fabrication, DIY & Home Remodelling Forum

Great forum, lots of friendly and helpful members.

/ Any woodworkers? #8  
Been wanting a small wood working shop for 40 years so finally put one in. Currently just make small items while I learn the in/outs of all the machines.

What I need an experience woodworker to tell me is about Polyurathane OR a finish coat that provides a similar protection and the finish of poly. Right now I stain a piece of wood, let it dry then do a couple coats of poly. Is there a simpler way to achieve color and protection in one coat and not multiple ones? What exactly is varnish? Could it be a one coat process? Does it come in colors? How about poly, does it come in colors or tints? Sorry to be dumb on the finish coat subject but thats what im tackling this month :dance1:

Kenneth, like me, you've entered into a never-ending world of learning. It is totally addictive. I consider myself as a newbie, also with about 40 years involvement, but still enjoy learning new tips and tricks, in almost as vast area as learning about tractors. But back to your question, from what I've learned...

Poly urethane needs at least 3 coats. What I've started doing is applying the first two coats with hand rubbed cloth, and the final coat gently with a good quality hair bristle brush. I don't have the patience for a fourth coat. :) The first two thin coats will fill the voids, and like you I lightly sand with 600 grit paper... just enough to knock the shine off. I have however, gone as far a 10 coats for my pickup truck bed flooring. In short, more is better.

Poly urethane does not hold up well in outside environment. Spar urethane is needed for that. I've also tried tung oil and boiled linseed oil, also with not so good results. Both of those need to be applied liberally and allowed to soak in. Multiple coats are also needed as well as periodical re-applying.

I've always preferred the natural colors of wood. However, you certainly can try adding a small amount of tinted poly urethane to your supply of clear to achieve the shade that you're after. In fact, I've mixed boiled linseed oil, spar urethane and mineral spirits for a home concoction for a fast drying finish on a small piece. They're all very similar and get along well together. No problems after a year with that mix.

One trick that I've learned about the dust, and there's ALWAYS dust lingering in a wood shop even after a few hours of inactivity, is to cover my project with a food tent. Those are available just about everywhere for next to nothing cost. I buy mine from Amazon and consider them thow-aways. But they'll catch 95% of the dust. If you need 100%, simply toss a sheet of newspaper over the tent. oh... and the food tents also close out gnats and other bugs that are drawn to your work piece like a needle to a magnet.

/ Any woodworkers? #9  
Like the others have said, it takes a couple coats. Two or three depending on the type of wood. The first coat acts like primer and soaks into the wood. Since the grain of the wood varies, the amount that soaks in varies, so it's always going to be different.

I think 600 grit is too fine for in between sanding. I use 220 and lightly sand by hand, then clean with a tack cloth.

I prefer using a 2 inch foam brush for clear coats. No brush marks with foam.

/ Any woodworkers? #10  
My apologies to the original poster , but since we are on the topic, I make various cedar furniture for my family and ourselves, cedar swings, chairs tables etc. and also use cedar v joint siding on parts of my house (screened in porch) I learned to stay away from varnishes and the typical varathane products because after a few years they peel and then project requires labour intensive sanding down to bare wood to refinish it all. But thru the years I found a Varathane product called "Natural Oil Finish #66" that does not peel , instead it just fades away and you can recoat. I think I have used 4 gallons over past six years. Unfortunately with todays enviro laws the Varathane company (parent company is Rustoleum) had to discontinue the product, the only suggestion they had for me was to use exterior teak oil, has anyone else found a product for exterior clear finish that works well on cedar ?