Tractor work

/ Tractor work #21  
20" stump you could easily work all day and might still not get it. Tractor loader simply isn't meant to do something like that.

Agreed. Tractor loaders have limitations. He needs a backhoe.

/ Tractor work #22  
Just a few random questions and something I seen advertised. I was browsing Facebook and some guy was advertising breaking gardens for people. He was charging $75 to break and till a 40ft by 60ft garden. That is within a 15 mile radius of our small town. That seems like an outrageous price to just work a garden. What do people in your area charge to work a garden? Do they charge by the job or by the hour?

You can tell he wasn't doing that job to make money.

TBS

/ Tractor work #23  
When i first got my tractor I thought ok i will hire myself out to help pay the payments. $50/hr seemed like a good place to start for me. Got some jobs but after about a year it was useless. By the time I loaded the trailer, gassed up my dodge 4x4 and tractor, hauled it to the location, did a small 2-4 hour job, loaded the tractor back up, drove back home and unloaded the tractor I could make about as much money as working as lowes or wal mart.

For me just wasnt worth the time, by the time I paid insurance, gas, hauling etc I was basically trading dollar bills. Now things would have been different if I could have worked an 8 hour day at $50 per for 4-5 days, but how many do that? I suspect very few.

/ Tractor work #24  
Now things would have been different if I could have worked an 8 hour day at $50 per for 4-5 days, but how many do that? I suspect very few.

You might be able to get there with mowing jobs, but tilling jobs are by their nature small jobs. If you're doing 8 hours of tilling, that's not really a "garden" any more.

/ Tractor work #25  
Just a few random questions and something I seen advertised. I was browsing Facebook and some guy was advertising breaking gardens for people. He was charging $75 to break and till a 40ft by 60ft garden. That is within a 15 mile radius of our small town. That seems like an outrageous price to just work a garden. What do people in your area charge to work a garden? Do they charge by the job or by the hour?
75.00 to break and till ? Do you mean plow and till ? Or till sod and make a second pass with tiller ? 40x60 , that is cheap . GO buy a tiller and get back with us .

/ Tractor work #26  
I did a garden a number of years ago for a friend. He said, no rocks, no trees, etc. Just clear grass that has been mowed. There were rocks, some tree roots (but no trees)... It took much longer than expected and beat my equipment up as well as me... He complained that I had drug some dirt out on the ends when I turned around... I politely told him that I expected that would get taken care of with the shovel he was leaning on while he watched me... never offered me gas or money for gas, never really thanked me. His wife thanked my wife. I did one other garden and the rocks did damage to my rototiller so stopped doing it.

I'm thinking it is a tax free cash business the guy is running at $75. Likely doesn't have much and is not afraid of being sued (nothing to take).

/ Tractor work #27  
I did a garden a number of years ago for a friend. He said, no rocks, no trees, etc. Just clear grass that has been mowed. There were rocks, some tree roots (but no trees)... It took much longer than expected and beat my equipment up as well as me... He complained that I had drug some dirt out on the ends when I turned around... I politely told him that I expected that would get taken care of with the shovel he was leaning on while he watched me... never offered me gas or money for gas, never really thanked me. His wife thanked my wife. I did one other garden and the rocks did damage to my rototiller so stopped doing it.

I'm thinking it is a tax free cash business the guy is running at $75. Likely doesn't have much and is not afraid of being sued (nothing to take).

Our neighbor 3 years ago told my wife he would give someone $100 to get their garden worked. I said $100? (It's about 20' X 30') I'll do it the same time I do ours for that! I went and plowed it, then cut it when the time was right then listed rows in it with the Cub. It may have taken me 1 1/2 hours total, I can see their house. His wife complained it was to cloddy and he spent all one Saturday out there with a tiller undoing the rows and busting up clods. It looked just like ours and ours always does good. It is red land and clods are unavoidable. He hasn't ask me to do it again, lol.