Utility Sink & Countertop

/ Utility Sink & Countertop #1  

Dougryan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3206
Hi,
On to the next project...

I bought a plastic/poly utility sink for my basement and would like to install it into a counter top like a typical kitchen or bathroom sink.
Super Poly Single laundry sink - MAAX

There is a lip around the perimeter so it should work fine. It has legs and is probably not designed to hang from the lip, so I will also make sure that there are spacers under the legs and that 90% of the weight is on the legs not the lip.

I've had these sinks before but they have always been free standing... and I've always wanted some flat surface to put stuff while using the sink... anything including paint brushes, drywall mud tools, wet dogs, cider carboys... and it would be great if there were no gaps around the edges of the sink. The counter top insert idea would be perfect.

My first thought was to just get a piece of 48" counter top and cut a hole for the sink. Problem is, most counter tops are not deep enough to accommodate a utility sink. So I need something that's a few inches deeper than a standard 25.5" kitchen counter top.

Need something that's water proof and inexpensive. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Doug

/ Utility Sink & Countertop #2  
A bit of work, but you could get some MDF board and glue down formica.

Or go by a ReStore, see if they have some commercial countertops that have been donated. I picked up several stainless steel counters at ours, extremely cheap

/ Utility Sink & Countertop #3  
When we redid our downstairs bath and kitchen, we dropped the old cast iron kitchen sink in the new vanity (had to space the cabinet out from the wall another 1-1/2" with a filler strip). Bigger than and deeper than a bath sink, looks nicer than a plastic sink.

But looking at your link, it sure looks like you could use the lip as a drop-in, on a bed of silicone or plumber's putty, then adjust the levelers to support it wherever it ends up.

You already own it, so I suspect there'd be no harm in trying.

I see the big box stores carry the unglued laminate sheets in 30, 48, and 60" wide, so I agree with Gunny...if you can't find a premade sheet wide enough, glue down your own.

Here's another idea: Either cut/buy two sections of countertop, and put the sink between them, or cut out a section wide enough to set the sink in, leaving the backsplash and enough lip to mount the back edge, and let the sink hang out the front like all those stylish new farmers' sinks are doing these days...

/ Utility Sink & Countertop #4  
not to sure about this idea... first time you put something wet down, the water going to go between counter top and edge of sink and down. as you fill sink with water and drain it a few times and plain just over time. the sides (in the middle) are going to warp in/out and wiggle about. so any sort of silicon or even spray foam. is going to come loose and still leak between counter top edge and sink edge.

leave the sink free standing. or chop off the legs. and place it on a shelf. and let the top of sink stay above the counter top.

for counter top you have the normal L shape (counter top itself, and then a backing that forms an L), but also put a piece of trim up against the sink on top of counter top. to help fill in the gap. and the edge that sticks out from top of the sink. so water on counter top does not have a chance to drip down.

i don't remember the words. but shower inserts, it has been a while since i last looked. but you might be able to get a piece of plastic for the long side of a bath tub (just a sheet of plastic). toss that down on some plywood, instead of laminate. perhaps go as far as sanding down the plywood. and tilting plywood on purpose. so any water drains to a single common back corner or back in the middle. and install 1" to 2" shower drain. or a regular sink drain. so water goes straight down the drain. vs having to wipe the water off. a shower pan with a drain might give better idea for a counter top with drain.

custom aquariums, custom reef tanks, custom salt water tanks, to custom ponds with bottom drains, many of these have plywood and/or wooded bottom. were holes are drilled and a flange / toilet drain or like is used. from fiberglass, to epdm pond liner, to pvc liners, to other type of plastic like liners.

EDIT: add a chicken scratch diagram

sink.jpg

/ Utility Sink & Countertop #5  
I would try a piece of laminate sheet, but I have a stack of them in the barn.

Aaron Z

/ Utility Sink & Countertop #6  
Bring it back and buy a slop sink designed to be put in a counter top . I have one in my tack room. CT and sink purchased from Lowes.

/ Utility Sink & Countertop #7  
Local salvage building materials store here had a whole truck load of Corian sheets cheap (knock off brand made by Samsung, but same stuff) It was 30" wide x 12' long x 1/2" thick. Designed to rip off 6" for backsplash and to build up the front edge thickness....you use a matching color epoxy cement (ordered online), then router the edge to suit. Stuff works easy, but if you sand, do it outside and with a good mask/respirator....dust off it is unbelievably fine stuff.

I used it for countertop in my 'auxiliary' work kitchen/meat cutting room off the back of the garage.

/ Utility Sink & Countertop #8  
Bring it back and buy a slop sink designed to be put in a counter top . I have one in my tack room. CT and sink purchased from Lowes.

This is what I would do. Return the plastic shop sink, or sell it, or just through it away. Get a stainless steel sink that will work nicely on any counter top that you want to use that will look nice, wont leak,and wont require any modifications.

Here is a sink that I put into a laundry room that I remodeled for a client that used to be in their kitchen. The counter is red oak flooring.

15937057_10211986047629220_8665158258966206856_o (1).jpg

/ Utility Sink & Countertop #10  
I was going to do the exact same thing. But then I came across a used, large, deep fiberglass sink at the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, and it made the project (potentially) easier. Still haven't done it. Project 529 on the list. Sometimes it doesn't hurt not to be in a hurry.