Dog breeds for mini farm

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
Getting ready to semi-retire to our rural property in north Georgia. We've had several Weimaraners. Love the breed. Recently had to say goodbye to our last one, so we're in between dogs at the moment.

We plan to have some chickens and goats on the property. In thinking about our next dog(s), I'm concerned about the Weimaraner's prey drive and compatibility with farm animals. We had one that we socialized with a pet rabbit, and they did quite well together, but I think that may have been an exception.

Would love to hear from others who keep farm animals and dogs, and learn any lessons that might be helpful about choosing our next dog.

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #2  
We are brittany fans.Great with kids decent watch dogs(bark to let you know someone is around)and great house pets.

Attachments

• IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 97
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    979.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 92
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 94
   / Dog breeds for mini farm #3  
Black mouth cur is probably the ultimate farm dog. Herder, hunter and watch dog. Look them up, they are awesome!

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #4  
Chickens and goats?
Get a smart herder.
Border collies are great, but I'm partial to Corgi's.

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #5  
i have a pit with 2 goats a cat and a few chickens...no problems.

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #6  
Sorry to hear about your recent loss...never an easy thing. I suspect you will get a wide variety of recommendations. My sense is that there is probably no wrong answer here and really it is based more on personality of the dog vs. breed.

We too are Brittany fans (Coobie-great pics!)and they have been great with all the animals here with the exception of one puppy mishap with a chicken:eek: however, that was more on us than the puppy. Once trained, all was good. They are an extremely smart breed and excellent family dog that can double as a top hunting partner if desired. Sadly, we had to put our last one down after 15 years......they also have decent longevity.

Camera 011.jpgDSCN1050.jpgDSCN1053.jpg

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #7  
Dogs are like people. You can find good and bad in every breed.

That said, I favor Border Collies.

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #8  
We are partial to black dog pound dogs. Black dogs are the least adopted dogs. We have gotten labs, lab mutts and mystery dogs from the pound. Some want to herd and some do not. A few have been better chipmonk, squirel, mouse and rat hunters than others.

/ Dog breeds for mini farm #9  
Sorry to hear about your recent loss...never an easy thing. I suspect you will get a wide variety of recommendations. My sense is that there is probably no wrong answer here and really it is based more on personality of the dog vs. breed.

We too are Brittany fans (Coobie-great pics!)and they have been great with all the animals here with the exception of one puppy mishap with a chicken:eek: however, that was more on us than the puppy. Once trained, all was good. They are an extremely smart breed and excellent family dog that can double as a top hunting partner if desired. Sadly, we had to put our last one down after 15 years......they also have decent longevity.

View attachment 496739View attachment 496740View attachment 496741
Sorry to hear about your loss.Our older britt brandy passed last year after 14 years with us.

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 83
   / Dog breeds for mini farm #10  
A Border Collie or Labrador are good bets.