Internet over power poles

/ Internet over power poles #21  
I wonder if the menonites would have to abandon their beloved internet, seeing as the devil is in the wires or some such thing.

There was some commercial a few years ago by a large corporation, with Sean Connery as the narrator. They showed a high tension power corridor, saying something about information traveling along these wires. This nonsense bothered me so much, I wrote the company. For whatever reason, I never saw the commercial again.

Some of the high voltage transport wires will have a fiber optic core. So yes power lines can also transport high speed data (and voice too now, since voice is just data now too.)

/ Internet over power poles #22  
I wonder if Mr Haney will install/service these,, also??? :D

/ Internet over power poles #23  
But probably not then.

Why would they not just use the towers for a separate fiber run, or the corridor for buried fiber. What's the point of messing with the HV?

/ Internet over power poles #24  
Why would they not just use the towers for a separate fiber run, or the corridor for buried fiber.
What's the point of messing with the HV?

Why??? to prove a point,,,

Have you ever had to fight the "not invented here syndrome"??

I have,, I lost!! :laughing:

/ Internet over power poles #25  
But probably not then.

Why would they not just use the towers for a separate fiber run, or the corridor for buried fiber. What's the point of messing with the HV?

From what I understand, the fiber imbedded in the HV transmission wires is usually used by the power companies for their long haul telemetry needs. Maybe some of the guys who worked for power companies can help out here. But I don't see why they couldn't use the excess bandwidth available on the fiber to sell to others for point to point circuits also. With the advent of DWDM (Dense Wave Division Multiplexing) as a means to achieve more bandwidth on existing fiber, It would seem to me that they would do this.

Imagine if you will that at some point in time you have a "pipe" (a fiber) that you can push thru 10 gallons a minute of "fluid". Now comes along a new technology that can push thru 100 gallon a minute, and then later a new technology that can push thru 1000 gallons a minute thu this same small old pipe you layed years ago. This has been the case for embedded fiber networks. New technologies have come along to squeeze 10 pounds of "stuff" into a 1 pound bag. :)

/ Internet over power poles #26  
I know around here, that they use explosives to crimp the lines. They added new towers to a corridor ten miles from hear a few years ago, and you could hear the explosions. I don't think fiber would like that much.

I'm sure the line workers union would love to add that extra dimension (and work) to their skill set. No one else could encroach on their territory.

I know electric utilities down in the city that are heavily into Fiber offerings. But that makes sense. You bury wire, you bury a fiber with it. Same with poles.

/ Internet over power poles #27  
Actually I sorta understand how it might work.
There are systems out there for wireless links that work off of your household outlets so apparently they have a way of transmitting data embedded in ac voltage lines. Hydro uses this technology to control power line switching as well.
Guess this is just an updated application.
Just don't ask me how it works!

/ Internet over power poles #28  
In my way of thinking, high speed data requires a high quality and uniformity of media. High quality glass fiber and splices, high quality twisted pair, high quality uniform coax and precision microwave. It beets the heck out of me, how you could send high speed data in a very dirty, chaotic medium.

/ Internet over power poles #29  
In my way of thinking, high speed data requires a high quality and uniformity of media. High quality glass fiber and splices, high quality twisted pair, high quality uniform coax and precision microwave. It beets the heck out of me, how you could send high speed data in a very dirty, chaotic medium.

But that's exactly what they want to achieve, since all that power line is already out there. No outlay for new. Just use the old. And why not if it works?

/ Internet over power poles #30  
Even the new Z-Wave and Zigby format automated electrical devices don't use the lines they are connected to, using wireless instead.

Like I said, it's beyond me, how they will couple phases, get around transformers and go great distances.

Out utility has given up trying to communicate with Rural smart meters. They simply couldn't make it work. So time of use, for me is out. Thank God since I heat with electric! A utility worker told me, they went through five types of meters before giving up.