Packing for a trip

/ Packing for a trip #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Leaving this afternoon for a week in a city two-three hours away. What amazes me is the packing we do now as opposed to when we were in our twenties. My shaving kit is still the same BUT packing all the electronics and their associated chargers...... It is a pain in the *****. I-phones chargers for each of us, I-pads (two minis and her big one), her Nook, out Fitbit watches, and all the associated chargers..... You get the idea. Then when we return home it will be getting all those back in their usual places. Oh yeah, don't forget the power strip to plug everything in. It wouldn't be such a hassle except for two parents, 90+, and four grandkids, three months to nearly eight years, and the possibility of having to rush home to take care of somebody. Thus we must keep in touch.

In the old days it was pack enough clothes to live out of a suitcase for a week. Now we have a washer and dryer in the room and throw everything in the washer when we leave for the day, into the dryer when we come home, and it is ready to wear again. So two shirts and pairs of jeans is all I take besides what I wear on the trip down.

We are coming back next Friday and picking up the seven (I'm nearly eight granddaddy) year old granddaughter and taking her to her first pro hockey game. To say she is exited is putting it mildly. She didn't even know what hockey was until a month or so ago. Now she has googled all the rules.... Kids..... On the other hand it is a Saturday afternoon game and they are all sell outs so I was told. Usually you can call the team and tell them you are bringing somebody for their first game and they will give a discount. NOT on Saturday afternoon.

Good day

RSKY

/ Packing for a trip #2  
Don't forget to bring a power strip. I've learned that with everything plugged in and charging, that you never have enough empty outlets.

/ Packing for a trip #3  
Yep, packing had definitely changed. Our 12 year old granddaughter has been here for the weekend; just 2 nights. And she brought more luggage, backpack, books, and bags, etc. than I used to carry on a week long trip.

/ Packing for a trip #4  
BUT packing all the electronics and their associated chargers...... It is a pain in the *****. I-phones chargers for each of us, I-pads (two minis and her big one), her Nook, out Fitbit watches, and all the associated chargers.....
Might I suggest a multi port charger? I picked up one on Amazon that looks like a laptop power supply. It has 4 2.4A USB jacks and a 1A MicroUSB plug.
It lives in my laptop bag and will charge 5 devices from one wall plug.

Aaron Z

/ Packing for a trip #5  
Just learn to put it all in a Duffel Bag for 2 years! US ARMY!

/ Packing for a trip #6  
And if traveling overseas, you need to take transformers and plugs to match the different countries. What is a real PITA is getting through security at the airport and having to unpack and then pack again. PITA. For some reason when we flew out of Dublin last year we had to go through security TWICE!

When we started traveling with the kids by car, the vehicle would be packed solid with stuff. Now, they don't really pack that much but they do have the chargers for their phones and computers. They don't use tablets for some reason, thank goodness! We will have a big trip by car this year and we won't have much luggage but we will be caring quite a bit of food and drink that will take up space.

For our trip to China a few years back we bought a lithium power pack that can recharge our tablets and phones multiple times before it is drained of energy. It came in handy though we managed to find power outlets to charge our devices. The plane to China had USB outlets so that was nice. On the trip to Europe last year, the power pack was a bit more useful since finding power outlets was more difficult and we were on the move quite a bit. The charger really came in handy last year when we lost power for a few days and we used the power pack to keep the phones charged up.

The wife and I can carry what we need for a couple of weeks in one large and one small pack back for each of us. Both will fit in the overhead storage on planes but it is a PITA going through security.

Later,
Dan

/ Packing for a trip #7  
Wouldn't it be something if people just talked to each other in person instead of needing all those electronic gizmos and plugs??? Just sayin!

/ Packing for a trip #8  
And if traveling overseas, you need to take transformers and plugs to match the different countries.
It depends on the charger, the one I bought ( Amazon.com: KMASHI 24W 4 Port Portable Desktop USB Charger Charging Station Hub (3 USB Port, 1 Micro USB Cable), Travel Charger for iPhone iPad Samsung Bluetooth Speaker Headset and More: Cell Phones & Accessories ) can handle 100-240VAC input, so you just need plug adapters. It looks like it has been replaced with Amazon.com: KMASHI 5-Port USB Charging Station 5W 1A, Desktop Charging Dock for iPhone iPad Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge S5 Note 4 Tablets: Cell Phones & Accessories (which has 5 USB jacks).

Aaron Z

/ Packing for a trip #9  
Wouldn't it be something if people just talked to each other in person instead of needing all those electronic gizmos and plugs??? Just sayin!

Can't do that Jerrybob as you've not given me your number.:D
We've driven to Angel Fire the last three years for a week's stay. The wife and I fit everything in one suitcase and a handy bag. I had the set of clothes I wore out there plus one extra. But usually wear ski pants the whole week.

/ Packing for a trip #10  
Can't do that Jerrybob as you've not given me your number.:D
We've driven to Angel Fire the last three years for a week's stay. The wife and I fit everything in one suitcase and a handy bag. I had the set of clothes I wore out there plus one extra. But usually wear ski pants the whole week.

I hear ya.......we have a travel trailer.....when we go......up to three weeks.......no TV....no PC....nice to get away without all the gadgets......my wife does take her smartphone.......she's missed a lot of pretty country while reading facebook and the like.......I take my flip phone but don't turn it on. New technology is good........although today's kids are learning that talking to people isn't important......tweeting is better.....go figure.