Driveway sensor

/ Driveway sensor #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
The only threads here are from around 2010 so I wanted to see what people are using now.

I need a sensor installed about 600 feet and a 2nd one about 300 feet. We have lots of deer and foxes etc so I'm guessing an electromagnetic sensor would be best.

In a perfect world smart phone notification would be ideal but those appear to be just entering the market.

I can go wired or wireless.

Thanks!

/ Driveway sensor #2  
We installed a Dakota Alert DCPA-2500 ~ a year and a half ago. I enclosed the sensor in PVC and the lead to the sender in conduit though you don't have to. I also put a 12 volt strobe at my side of the bed so should someone come up the drive at night I should know for sure. It has worked perfectly and has not needed a battery replacement as of yet. There are other models / accessories available. The only con I see with the whole thing is that the control panel could be more intuitive. Want to erase zone light counts? press "c" for 2 seconds- not .5 seconds. That kind of thing.

/ Driveway sensor #3  
I just checked the Dakota Alert site and didn't find one answer. How far can the unit transmit a signal? Looks like what I've been looking for.

I found an alternate site and my ?? has been answered.

Last edited:
   / Driveway sensor #4  
   / Driveway sensor #6  
I use Dakota Alert MURS. MAPs (buried electromagnetic sensor). Range can be up to a mile, even more. You may have to use a separate transmitter antenna for max range through thick woods. I'm powering mine with solar/controller and either a 12v auto battery (at gate) or a gel-cell in other spots.

/ Driveway sensor #7  
Been using Dakota MURS units for many years after trying several far less effective and lasting ones.
Best system on the market IMHO. Range is miles.

/ Driveway sensor #8  
I have a Dakota Alert MURS with two transmitters,one about 3/4 of a mile on the road to my business.
They work very well,use lithium batteries and they will last most of a year.

/ Driveway sensor #9  
Is this to open a gate when you pull up?

Do you have secruity concerns with it opening to anyone?

/ Driveway sensor #10  
We have lots of deer and foxes etc so I'm guessing an electromagnetic sensor would be best.

I agree. I have an infrared type and it falses a lot.

A LOT. Squirrels, leaves blowing... Doesn't take much. I would not choose this kind again.