Handgun for arthritis

/ Handgun for arthritis #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
My shootin hand, the right hand has arthritis pretty bad in some fingers. Trigger finger can't pull the trigger on several semi autos I have tried. The pull is too heavy and the travel is too long. Making it worse, I have long fingers and too many guns seem to be sized for smaller hands. I can rack the slide, but my thumb can't release it--can't move close enough to the tang to get a good push on it.

Got out my old Ruger .357 Blackhawk when there was a cougar on the property and that's when I found out I have problems. Excellent trigger pull, short travel and light pull. Best trigger of all the ones I have tried. But I can't cock the thing one handed--it's that thumb again.

Sun shop sales people say they are seeing a lot of people with arthritis as the boomers age.

So what's a good handgun for folks like me?

/ Handgun for arthritis #2  
I would say something with less recoil.Maybe 22 mag.cal.Smith & wesson air weight.Have the trigger lightened up by a good gunsmith.

/ Handgun for arthritis #3  
If you hands are that screwed up, switching to a pump rifle might be a better choice. You can mount a scope and see what you are shooting at as your eyes fail too.

/ Handgun for arthritis #4  
Go with a 1911 model in .45ACP or 9mm. Rack it back to load and with a nice short 3/16" travel, 4 to 5 lb. trigger pull.

/ Handgun for arthritis #5  
Since the Blackhawk is a single action revolver, the trigger would tend to be very light as compared to most double action revolvers. For that reason and the fact that you say operating a slide is not an issue, I would look for a single action semi auto with a nice light trigger pull.

If your arthritis is primarily in your right hand you can operate your slide release with your left hand. That's what I do and I don't have the arthritis problem (yet anyway). It allows you to keep a proper grip on your weapon and not have to shift your right hand around to operate the release. I always fire with a 2 hand grip anyway, so it's a natural movement to use my left thumb to operate the release then just fold it over your right thumb before firing. Takes a lot longer to say it than it does to do it.

/ Handgun for arthritis #6  
Springfield XD,or any of the striker fired auto loaders.Everybody has copied Springfield and offer a striker fired auto's.

/ Handgun for arthritis #8  
The only answer for shooting one - handed is a light triggered Glock,,I like the Model 17.
I hit things with the 17 that should normally require a rifle,, or at least a shotgun.

My only other nice to shoot gun is a S&W Model 629 with mild reloads,,
Actually a gun-smithed Model 629 can be fired double action with a remarkably low force.

/ Handgun for arthritis #9  
I would think you might start training yourself to better utilize your left hand. Use your left thumb to cock the hammer on your Blackhawk. I doubt you'll find a better single action trigger on any semi-auto anyway (says the revolver guy :D).

Short of that, as Larry mentioned above, you may want to consider a rifle.

/ Handgun for arthritis #10  
Pilot, if you really like the single action. I'm sure you could get it modified. Many years ago I was recovering from a spinal court injury and my hands were quite weak. I used a single action Ruger and pulled the hammer back with the blade of my left hand. A good smith could install a "quick draw" hammer extension which would help.