Planted Red Haven Peaches, help with cross pollination

/ Planted Red Haven Peaches, help with cross pollination #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
Hello all,

I bought two standard Red Haven peach trees. They are technically self pollinating. But they produce better if cross pollinated. I've dug 3 holes and looking for the cross pollinator. The one thing I learned was buying a peach tree that blooms at the same time as the Red Haven is what is key for cross pollinating. The type I keep seeing as a good match is the Elberta. But I can't find them locally.

Any others that would be a good cross pollinator? Can a cross pollinator be from the same type, i.e. just buy a 3rd Red Haven?

/ Planted Red Haven Peaches, help with cross pollination #2  
Pretty much depends on what you have available locally. What are some Cultivars that you can get ? And, do you want to stagger the ripening date or have them all ripen at the same general time ? I'd plant a different Cultivar as long as you already have 2 Red Havens. Geo.

/ Planted Red Haven Peaches, help with cross pollination #3  
I have a red haven tree. Last summer was it's 4th summer here and it was loaded down. I had to prop up a couple large branches. I don't know how it could make any more peaches unless it grows larger. It bloomed in mid March when it was cold and wet here, long before any bees were out, but somehow it pollinated itself. I don't know of other varieties that bloom that early, but maybe there are.

/ Planted Red Haven Peaches, help with cross pollination #4  
Stark is a good mail order tree firm

/ Planted Red Haven Peaches, help with cross pollination #5  
I have a red haven tree. Last summer was it's 4th summer here and it was loaded down. I had to prop up a couple large branches. I don't know how it could make any more peaches unless it grows larger. It bloomed in mid March when it was cold and wet here, long before any bees were out, but somehow it pollinated itself. I don't know of other varieties that bloom that early, but maybe there are.

B.D. last year was an insane year in western Washington for fruit, our neighbors peach tree (frost),was almost prostrate on the ground it was so loaded. I had about 225 # of pears from five small trees.
I think your pollinators were very likely mason bees, they are better than honey bees for pollination of fruit trees since they are out and about earlier. Mason bees look more like a hairy black fly than a bee, you can encourage them by putting up nesting blocks.

/ Planted Red Haven Peaches, help with cross pollination #6  
Mason ( orchard) bees will work in the cold and wet while honeybees stay in bed. Also, other pollinators include wasps, ants, butterflies and moths. Honeybees are the major pollinators but others will also contribute their efforts.

/ Planted Red Haven Peaches, help with cross pollination
My strategy is to get a tree with a "chill hours" that is close to the Red Haven. I found a comprehensive list and sorted by chill hours. I'll take that list out and see if any I find are close.
It's fun to think of having a peach tree loaded like those described. But I have read to get good production, you must prune and fertilize. The two trees I have planted have pretty good shape, "vase" with open center. But one has a center I'd like to remove. Is it OK to prune a small bit now? There are buds ready to open now. Bits of pink showing!

/ Planted Red Haven Peaches, help with cross pollination #8  
No, don't prune now with it budding. I have a Red Haven, Elberta, Contender and Belle of Georgia. The Elberta and Contender bloom at the same time as the Red Haven, this will be the first year of blooming for the Belle of Ga. so I'm not sure yet if it is the same but it's looking like it will be the same from appearances now. I've already started spraying with Immunox on all of my fruit trees. My Moonglo pear is in full bloom but my Keifer pear is always later. Luckily I have some neighbors with fruiting pears that are blooming now to pollinate my Moonglo.

/ Planted Red Haven Peaches, help with cross pollination
We found an Elberta at Rural King! so now we are set