Blueberries and Raspberries

/ Blueberries and Raspberries #1  

jaydee325

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere X584 Garden Tractor & LS R3039H
We live in SW Michigan. My wife and I have enjoyed our vegetable garden for decades now. Purely a labor of love.

Recently, we have been discussing getting some blueberry and raspberry/blackberry bushes. My question is, how many bushes would I need of each variety to yield enough fruit for the two of us, including freezing some for the winter?

/ Blueberries and Raspberries #2  
I have 6 or 8 blueberry bushes, 2 each of several varieties for good pollination. We've had enough to eat plus freeze a few gallons some years. The other extreme, last year, we got zero berries due to very late freezes in the spring.

/ Blueberries and Raspberries #3  
I cannot speak to raspberries nor blackberries, but I know Blueberries.

Four mature Blueberry bushes should be ample, as you are going to plant other cane fruits. Blueberries require two types or more, flowering at the same time, to pollinate. Late varieties are more consistent producers and tend to have larger berries.

Soil needs to be pretty acid; pH 4.5 to pH 5.5. You may have that pH in Michigan naturally. If not, you can buy a bag of 90% "Split Pea" agricultural sulphur, which will lower pH pretty fast.

Full sun.

/ Blueberries and Raspberries #4  
I have a row of Fall Gold raspberries that's about 3' wide and 25' long. NONE of them make it to the freezer..... :licking:

OK, a few get made into about half a dozen pints of jam, but the rest are eaten daily. :thumbsup:

/ Blueberries and Raspberries #5  
Tried growing them a few years ago (in FL) they did great and were looking real good until about a day before they were ready to be picked - then out of no where the deer showed up and ate the bushes bare.
Now the deer have moved on to eating my landscaping shrubs and all the new growth on my little orange trees.

/ Blueberries and Raspberries #6  
Nourse farms, the blackberries I bought from them almost ten years ago are still going strong!

/ Blueberries and Raspberries #7  
We have a couple of raspberry bushes that produce very little for us. On the other hand, we have four mature blueberry bushes that produce about four or five times what we can eat. We give away a tremendous amount every year, and many more still end up on the ground or eaten by critters.

/ Blueberries and Raspberries #8  
We have a couple of raspberry bushes that produce very little for us. On the other hand, we have four mature blueberry bushes that produce about four or five times what we can eat. We give away a tremendous amount every year, and many more still end up on the ground or eaten by critters.
Raspberries are "canes". As I recall the "reds" send shoots underground and after 2-3 years you knock the old ones down and let the new ones emerge. The wild "blacks" root from the tips that bend over and start the next generation...same concept...year 1 nothing, year 2 nice berries, year 3 so so berries at which time you cut that out. Hoping somebody tells me I'm wrong because I want to know.

/ Blueberries and Raspberries
Thank you all for the responses!

I've got a lot to learn. Any suggestions on reference material (books, websites etc) that I can use to educate myself?

/ Blueberries and Raspberries #10  
Thank you all for the responses!

I've got a lot to learn. Any suggestions on reference material (books, websites etc) that I can use to educate myself?

Google Blueberries and your state.

There are multiple types of Blueberries bred for particular regions, that will not do well in other regions. We grow 'Rabbiteye' hybrids, bred from Florida natives.
Rabbiteyes only do well in the southeast.

Blueberries warrant careful research before purchase. Buy a pH meter early.

LINK: soil ph meter | eBay