battery question

/ battery question #11  
RobertN,

From the Optima website: [[[ Unlike gel cells, the Optima does not required special charging equipment.]]]
I take this to mean that the Optima batteries are NOT GEL-CELL.

GEL-cells(such as the "Prevailer" line ) are popular with boatowners for all the good qualities claimed for the Optima. I don't know if the "spiral-wound" Optima is "better" or not, for withstanding vibration.

I have had several Prevailers for some years, but don't remember the prices,... but they, too, were expensive. Don't know how the prices compare to the Optimas.

I thought then (and now) that if they could be afforded, the positioning-options and lack of fluid/fume hazards make them highly desirable from a safety standpoint. If (heaven forbid) we ever find ourselves underneath an overturned tractor, we'll have problems enough without leaking acid to deal with /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif !! ( the vapor is NOT something you want to be breathing, either)

I'm going to look into replacing my new tractor battery with one of these "improved" safer models,... got some steep slopes to work on at my place.

Larry /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ battery question #12  
Just to clarify, my B-in-law has two Optima's in his Jeep, which he has used for about 8 years. He runs them both for winching and welding operations(dual batteries).

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ battery question #13  
Yes, after reading the web page, you are correct.

The Optima is a lead-acid battery. But, between the spiraling plates they place a absorbant material which "holds" the acid paste in place. That's why it does not leak when punctured; the absorbant material hold the acid in place.

I like the sealed battery, beacuase it is generally clean. It's nice around the camper, because you don't have to worry about battery compartment corrosion, or the fumes asociated with a regular battery.

I was at Kragens about a month ago; I saw they had a battery similar to the Optima. I don't recall who made it. It was a starting battery though, not a deep cycle. The sales guy said they didn't have a deep cycle version out yet. The price was a little lower than the Optima "red top" starting" or "LSI" battery.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ battery question
I couldn't justify the price of the Optima. I don't doubt the quality. My thought is this, I don't dry camp, I only need the battery when I'm traveling and even then the camper is plugged into the Dodge and uses the trucks power as source. So I really only use the battery if I go out back to the camper and need to turn on a light and don't have it plugged in. With that in mind I went to Walley Word and bought a marine deep cycle battery for $35. It has a two year warranty. If it goes bad or doesn't do the job Walmart is everywhere, I'll get my money back.

Thanks for the info, fellas.

Bill Cook