Gas Powered Post Drivers

/ Gas Powered Post Drivers #21  
I like how you have it all set up. Did you compare it to the Man Saver? My thinking is that if I was to spend $2,000 or more, I could get the Man Saver, an air compressor and a generator to run it for less and have an air compressor and generator for other things. I actually already have several air compressors and a small generator, but for welding up my corner braces, I need a bigger generator for my arc welder. I'm also wondering about using my tractor for something like this. Do you do a lot of mowing with your tractor and do you have to remove your mower when you pound posts? I hate removing my mower and was hoping to install my posts from the back of my pickup truck or Kawasaki Mule. Then the tractor isn't even used.

I like the ideas on how to improve my set up. For the galvanized line posts we used the lift of the 3 point hitch and a rope to raise and swing the pounder into place. The lift and swing needs a better solution but after 1440 posts it worked but I can say that it was tiring. For the black locust end posts(10ft) we used a heavy duty trailer pounder but the trick was getting my JD 5325 to lift the posts into place as those posts were super heavy. Took us a little more than a week to do 72 end posts.

/ Gas Powered Post Drivers #22  
Hi Eddie - Yes I did compare with units like the Man Saver. There are 2 things about it that made me go a different route. First our posts start at 8ft and I couldn't figure out a way to hang onto something way over my head. The second is that I decided to go with a pounder that does rapid explosive short hits as opposed to long strokes and less frequent blows. That way it's hard to bend the post top and you can more easily keep the posts plumb and in line with the other posts. It also seems to vibrate rocks out of the way better. In fact my hydraulic pounder is based on Atlas Copco's jack hammers. We did use a large long stroke post pounder to drive in the black locust end posts....seen here .... EnoViti: Days of Pounding End Post .

I can see the benefits to the hydraulic pounder over the man saver in your description. I guess I'm just stuck on spending the extra money for something so fancy.

/ Gas Powered Post Drivers #23  
I have used the wedge lok's for some dog fencing. Makes for some pretty quick and quite strong corners.

I think Electrobraid was one of the first if not the first type of wire rope on the market? I have some poly/stainless in place nine years now that I got a good deal on that still looks good other than having some moss growing on it. When I went back to get more, it was not available and the rope I bought instead must have had a lesser grade of stainless wire because it has surface rust on it. Still carries a charge though. If memory serves, Electrobrade uses copper wire?

Don't know if they were the first, but yes copper wire. They also have the longest warranty on the market so I think that will be good.

/ Gas Powered Post Drivers #24  
Eddie, did you ever get anything?

/ Gas Powered Post Drivers #25  
No, I'm not even close to being ready for fencing yet. I'm still trying to clear my fence line. After the trees come out, the weeds take over faster then I can maintain them. My current plan is to just keep spraying round up there until I have to time to get the dirt smoothed out.

/ Gas Powered Post Drivers #26  
Reviving this thread....

I see some gas powered ones on eBay for <$300... anyone have experience with one?

/ Gas Powered Post Drivers #27  
I'll sell you mine. :thumbsup:

pounder1.jpg

/ Gas Powered Post Drivers #28  
I'm looking to buy a t-post driver now if anyone's selling...
I'll probably end up with a Rohrer Mansaver if I have to buy new. Any current reviews/opinions would be appreciated.

/ Gas Powered Post Drivers #30  
I'm looking at them to. I keep going back and forth between the gas powered models or the pneumatic Rohrer. I'd really like to hear from some folks that have used the gas powered models. I know there're some cheap off-brands on Ebay with knockoff Honda engines, but I surmise they're junk and the cheap engines will just cause frustration, not to mention that repair parts are probably non-existant. So the Titan or Skidril are probably the models to have, but pricey. I've used the Rohrer before and it worked well, albeit a little clunky. Plus, I'd need to have my welder/generator to run my air compressor to run the Rohrer.

You could just bite the bullet and get one of these Propane Hammer :) Portability and simplicity