Carpenter Bees

/ Carpenter Bees #1  

jdeerestl

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2210
Anyone else have trouble with these little sons of ####? I take great pleasure in killing as many of these as I can, and I'm usually one for live and let live. I live in over 50 acres of thick woods and they have to single out my log house to drill their #### holes. Kill em all I say. While we're at it, hornets too.

/ Carpenter Bees #2  
Ugh, they sure are a pain in the neck! They attacked my garage a few years back and I countered with the only thing I had at the time: brake cleaner in a spray can! Not sure what's in that stuff, but it sure did the job! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Pete

/ Carpenter Bees #3  
yup,
I've got a bunch of them this year attacking my barn. The neighbor says a tennis racket followed by the heel of your boot works pretty well. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif They hover pretty steady, so they are a pretty easy target.

/ Carpenter Bees
I fish a piece of wire into the hole and either smush em or aggravate them out and then smush em with my hand. Then I plug up the hole with some foam weatherstripping and then caulk it. A real pain in the neck. Seems they only drill for about one week a year, but man can they do some damage. I've killed six in the last week, hopefully drilling seasons almost done.

/ Carpenter Bees #6  
they drill a lot more than a week here...the tennis racket works well, so does some spray isecticides when the critter is in the hole...i have a red cedar porch swing that has several holes in it..i just got one of the bees last night with the insecticide.. i wouldn't have ever guessed they would drill into cedar??? they are working my barn over this year too..
heehaw

/ Carpenter Bees #7  
Do they drill a hole, maybe 3/8 inch diameter, then hang around in front of it like they are protecting it from other invading bees? Are they large, almost bumble bee size and do the make a lot of noise? If so, I've never seen one.

Cliff

/ Carpenter Bees #8  
Cliff,
yep thats the ones alright. So far no harm to me or the dog, but I gotta get rid of mine SOON.
I can't seem to hit them with wasp/hornet spray, but I sure can with a badminton racket /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Carpenter Bees #9  
Don't know if this is what I would do on your log home but a local "old timer" told me to mix a little diesel with regular oil and brush or spray it on the wood. Well the little wood critters were attacking a treated wood platform that I have on my land. I sprayed it with this mix and the bees have gone elsewhere. The smell went away in several days, I don't like the smell of diesel and I guess they don't either /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Carpenter Bees #10  
Found one at work on a diagonal brace in my shop today. Hit her with PB Blaster right in her tunnel. Seemed to work just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SnowRidge