Cutting rubber horse stall mats

/ Cutting rubber horse stall mats #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
Rubber mat is 3/4 inch thick. Each piece is 4'x6'. Some will have to be trimmed shorter. Others will have to be notched to go around the stall posts.

One thought is to use a carpet knife.

What about a reciprocating saw? If so what blade? I am thinking for the cuts that have to go the entire length of the mat to chalk a line. Then put a 2x4 under the mat and one over the mat to sandwich it. Use that as a cutting guide and hit it with the saw?

For the cuts around the posts the carpet knife might be needed?

Anyone have any advice?

/ Cutting rubber horse stall mats #2  
When I cut that thick stall mat to use for my snowplow edge, I used a saber saw with the coarsest blade I had on hand. I used the slower blade speed setting and cut along the edge of a 2x6 underneath to get a straight finish. A saber saw would be good for making your stall post notches too!

Good Luck,

Frank

/ Cutting rubber horse stall mats #3  
The low speed, course blade is needed to prevent melting. My impatience would have me mask up and "make" a bunch with my skil saw and then go directly to the shower.

/ Cutting rubber horse stall mats #4  
Yep. Same as the others. Jig saw, saws all, hole saw. Wood blade moderate speed. Circular saw works also but use a old blade so u not mess up a new one. Back side up of the mat not a bad idea while cutting.

/ Cutting rubber horse stall mats #5  
table saw would be my first thought. second thought a circular saw might work.

jig saw, skillsaw, or reciprocating saw, would go with a jig saw. for a more accurate cut. trying to get a reciprocating saw down a long line has always been a challenge for myself mainly due to the size/shape of the reciprocating saw itself does not lead for long straight lines.

/ Cutting rubber horse stall mats #6  
I've used a razor knife with a straight edge. But only had to work a few pieces. Did the the job but takes several strokes to get through and changing the blade frequently helps.

/ Cutting rubber horse stall mats #7  
I once lined some 30 box stalls and tried just about everything.
What ended up the most productive for long cuts was to lay the rubber mat over a 2 x 4 and use an OLFA knife to cut from top side.
The 2 x 4 sort of let the cut open up making slitting rather easy.
When ever I tried power tools heat became the enemy causing binding. Soap did help as a lubricant somewhat.
All in all I decided that there was no power tool for doing that chore.

/ Cutting rubber horse stall mats #9  
If you use a knife, pocket, butcher, skinning, hunting. Make sure the blade is very sharp and keep it wet by lots of dripping in a cup/bucket of water. If you have the help and the situation allows someone can dribble a little water over the blade as you cut. Be safe. My FIL retired from Gates Rubber Company after 32 years and he said that's how they cut hoses, belts, mats, etc.

/ Cutting rubber horse stall mats #10  
There have been threads on this previously. My memory can't dredge up exactly what was used to cut. Perhaps a thread search........