Please show me your tractor chain storage solutions.

/ Please show me your tractor chain storage solutions. #1  

johneic

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3038e, Bolens-Iseki G174 2 Cylinder (early), Kubota B7200E 2WD belly mower
I have read here about using 4 to 6 inch PVC pipe and I like that idea, not sure how to attach PVC to a tractor though. If you have another solution please show me that too.

John

PS I have plastic fenders/hood so those are not a good mounting spot for me. It is a loader tractor but how to mount to the loader frame?

/ Please show me your tractor chain storage solutions.
This is the tractor I want chain storage for,

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    695.5 KB · Views: 374
   / Please show me your tractor chain storage solutions. #3  
How about heating 1/2" all thread rods with a propane torch and bend it into U shape and use angle iron as the base to make big U bolts to attach large PVC pipe to the ROPS for chains.

/ Please show me your tractor chain storage solutions. #4  
I don't know why you would want to store the chains on your tractor. When I had heavy duty tractor chains - I drove two monster spikes into one of the vertical 4" x4" posts in the carport stall and hung each set on one of the spikes. Its was as good a place as any to store them and I was sure as H*LL not going to attempt to install them while in the field. The chains for the rear tires were 225# each and represented a major project to instal.

/ Please show me your tractor chain storage solutions. #5  
I don't know why you would want to store the chains on your tractor. When I had heavy duty tractor chains - I drove two monster spikes into one of the vertical 4" x4" posts in the carport stall and hung each set on one of the spikes. Its was as good a place as any to store them and I was sure as H*LL not going to attempt to install them while in the field. The chains for the rear tires were 225# each and represented a major project to instal.

Don't think he's talking about tire chains

Jeff

/ Please show me your tractor chain storage solutions. #6  
I have a barrel filled all but about 4'' with concrete. Put the chains on top the concrete so they are always handy. Also have pvc pipe in the barrel for shovels and rakes. And a receiver hitch and a chainsaw scabbard. Hardly ever comes off the tractor.

Jeff

Hi All, Sorry, I am talking about bucket/towing chains that I might need out in the field. I have four hooks on the top of bucket (one reversed) but my chains just does not want to stay there like they did on my old tractor.

I have a barrel filled all but about 4'' with concrete. Put the chains on top the concrete so they are always handy. Also have pvc pipe in the barrel for shovels and rakes. And a receiver hitch and a chainsaw scabbard. Hardly ever comes off the tractor.

Jeff

Great ideas Jeff, but that would not work for me, my finish or brush mower is most always attached on mine.

Here is a pic of the back of the tractor, if this helps, I think is has to go on the ROPS like CjR said or maybe a metal tool box mounted somewhere? Though the back side of the driver side loader frame bracket might be a good location for the PVC?

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    598.3 KB · Views: 313
   / Please show me your tractor chain storage solutions. #10  
OOPS - my bad. Anyhow, I still don't permanently store my log/tow chains on the tractor. If I have the bucket on the FEL - I throw them in the bucket. With the grapple on the FEL - I wrap them around and thru the tines. Otherwise - they are in my work shop in a plastic five gallon bucket.

Johneic - like you said - the chains develop a mind of their own and are difficult to "keep on board" except in the bucket. I've had to back track more than once looking for wayward log chains.