Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #11  
I bought this 48'er for $1500. off of CL and it cost me $450. to have it delivered 60 miles to my property.
I have worked on, moved and stored in containers for over 30 years.
After delivery I needed to build my shop so I had to move the container about 90' and turn it 90*. I hooked to the bottom pockets with chain and drug it to where I wanted it.
I stored my tractor in it until the shop was built, now a lot of misc. "Stuff".
They can be securely locked if they have the no tamper lock box.

Attachments

• DSCN0665.JPG
    DSCN0665.JPG
    723.6 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN0638.JPG
    DSCN0638.JPG
    692.6 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN0773.JPG
    DSCN0773.JPG
    808.7 KB · Views: 150
   / Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #12  
Kinda off subject. Today I was sitting in a truck stop parking lot eating my lunch. A truck hauling a container pulled in for fuel. It was a 40' container that had been modified to 53". 6' or so added to each end. First I had saw like that. Still had the 40' stake pockets.

For me,,,, I'd struggle with a 40' storage facility that was only 8' wide. Tremendous amount of wasted space. I can only imagine how that would be magnified by adding 13' to the length. :)

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #13  
I sure like my older 40 ft container. Much more secure than my mobile home. Put in a window unit to keep 1/2 dry. Added inside insulation boards. and simple metal roof on top.

Easy to move around with 8" round fence posts underneath.

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #15  
For some time I have been considering buying a 40-foot container to store and secure some expensive vehicles and parts I keep at our uninhabited property. We have only had one break-in in the last 8-years but I'm afraid a $9K UTV might be too tempting for some to leave be.

Here are my questions:
Are they usable storage or do you end up with a forty foot cave where you can't get to what you need? How hard is it to get an ATV, PWC trailer or tractor into and out of?

Do piers on each corner provide a stable base or would more support be required? How level does it need to be for the doors to open and close properly? Internet suggestions range from dump it on the ground to a full cement foundation.

Would the container structure support a framed truss roof?

Would you buy one again or spend more money and build a pole barn?

I bought a 40 footer to put on my vacant property when I first bought it for the same reason you are looking at doing it. I believe I paid $3200 delivered for an older but good shape unit. It worked very well for me to keep my tractor and other property secure. Since I built my house I dragged it further back on my property and will be re-painting it this year to keep for permanent storage. I also added some additional vents because they can get quite hot in the summer.

You just have to organize it accordingly, as the stuff you put in the back can become a bit of a pain to get out. I am installing shelving down both sides at the back this summer to help organize.

The shipping container only needs to be supported on the corners. I just leveled out the existing ground and put a Railway tie under each end. It has settled a little bit but nothing major. It does need to be fairly level for the doors to open smoothly. Nice thing about it being on RR ties is you can easily put a bottle jack under and lift it to shim it slightly. Also keeps air moving underneath it so it doesn't rust/rot out.

The container would support a trussed roof. I plan on building a lean-to off of mine in the future.

I would definitely recommend buying one. Very affordable storage and can be somewhat easily moved if you want it in a different location.

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #16  
Not2Old - I had forgotten reading about condensation problems, thanks for the reminder. Awesome place you live, I have spent several months in the Pacific Northwest working at Boeing and if I did not have parents to care for I would certainly spend more time in your area.[/QUOTE]

No way for me to tell for sure, but my experience suggests that if you put a roof over it, most of the condensation problems will disappear. The moisture inside was sometimes so bad that there was "rain" inside and under the area where my boat was kept (prevented sunshine from hitting the top of the container) it would be dry. The picture posted here with the roof between two 20 footers sure looks good.

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested
Appreciate the recommendations, I really like the modular truss system, I have found whenever I have an idea I google it and someone has already provided a better solution. The condensation issue is simply a result of warmer moist air being trapped in the container when the exterior cools. Thinking on this I am curious how containers shipped from the southern hemisphere at not dripping wet inside when they are opened up north. Venting would mitigate the problem but I always assumed the containers were air tight. Anyway...

I think I am leaning to just building a framed barn/shed, Kirk, I also was unable to contact the Multibox company. I will need to check with the county inspector to see what options are approved, anything larger than 200 sq ft requires a permit.

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #18  
IMG_00000027.jpg

I used two containers on my unoccupied property for storage before I built my shop or barn. For me they worked great. The shop came later which is why I went with a lean-to roof versus trusses over the containers.

The small solar panel in the picture powers two small exhaust fans I installed in the containers. With the roof and the exhaust fans, I have not had a condensation issue.

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #19  
Maybe when a container is jam packed full of wonderful Chinese goodies, there is no moist air to condense. Just a thought.

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #20  
The glut of containers for sale is definitely because of our foreign trade deficit. The primary contributor being China. :)