Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
For some time I have been considering buying a 40-foot container to store and secure some expensive vehicles and parts I keep at our uninhabited property. We have only had one break-in in the last 8-years but I'm afraid a $9K UTV might be too tempting for some to leave be.

Here are my questions:
Are they usable storage or do you end up with a forty foot cave where you can't get to what you need? How hard is it to get an ATV, PWC trailer or tractor into and out of?

Do piers on each corner provide a stable base or would more support be required? How level does it need to be for the doors to open and close properly? Internet suggestions range from dump it on the ground to a full cement foundation.

Would the container structure support a framed truss roof?

Would you buy one again or spend more money and build a pole barn?

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #2  
#1, depends . #2 level on grade corners not a concern , all the corners do is lock them into another container . #3 Yes. #4 spend more money .

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #3  
Corner support only should be fine. When they are being hauled many of the trailors only hold them on the corners. They often hold around 60,000 lbs cargo capacity. They weigh around 8000 to 9000 lbs I think. Yes they can just be set on the ground but will often sink in and then you have door opening issues. The bottoms of some are wood and some metal. Getting them up out of the soil will help stop rotting wood and rust issues. A well packed gravel bed under the entire container can solve this issue. If you just support the corners keep in mind the weight issues and how big your supports need to be, it varies with the planed storage items weight and your type of soil. The lip on the front of the containers are about 6 inches high I think. Would think a board or two in front running cross wise would take of any loading issues. They will easily handle a pitched roof on top of them as they are built to support several loaded containers on top of each other. Your access to storage area depends on how well you plan your floor layout of storage and how organized you are. Walk through door opening can be cut in the sides if needed and a door installed. Not sure how the door would affect your security. The lock location on the existing door at the ends are set up so as to be hard to tamper with. They do make containers with doors on both ends and even on one side. Takes a bit of looking to find them sometimes.

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #4  
I had one for 20 years that I parked at an RV and more storage lot. I had an old car in it and also used it for storage of left over construction materials, chained ladders and my cartop boat to the roof. This was located in a suberb of Vancouver, B.C. The local climate caused tons of condensation with the ceiling frequently dripping with water until I scored a bunch of old styrofoam insulation that I used to cover the roof other than under the boat where there didn't seem to be a problem. Everything stored inside smelled of mould/mildew?? The car has been sitting outside since I moved here in 2010, still unrestored and yes it still smells inside. If you do this make sure this doesn't happen; provide lots of ventilation. This was a 40 ' aluminum container and it sat on the four corners just fine. If finances allow, and there is sufficient privacy during construction, I'd build the pole barn with a concrete floor and conceal the basement with a hatch of some sort where you could lower the toys into it. I know of where this was done. Some plywood is scattered over the hatch and a disabled bulldozer is parked over it. He hasn't lost anthing in 30 years.

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested
Thanks all for your comments, I was about ready to have one delivered and would have if they would have had a double-door available but I am reconsidering the purpose and aesthetics of concept. $5k to deliver a double door container as they only have them available if purchased as a one trip container. Double that price and I would have a good start on a nice barn.

Not2Old - I had forgotten reading about condensation problems, thanks for the reminder. Awesome place you live, I have spent several months in the Pacific Northwest working at Boeing and if I did not have parents to care for I would certainly spend more time in your area.

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #6  
I don't know about cost comparisons, but there are insulated containers. That should stop roof and wall condensation.

Bruce

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #7  
Good sturdy storage. I got mine for free, just shipping. It's getting a bit crusty. Borrowed a friends airless painter to paint it green from orange, to make it blend into the forest better.

Put it on rail road ties.

Yes, it is a bit of a pain winding your way through junk to the back. Project 287 on my list is putting some kind of lighting in there. It is remote located so I may plug it into whatever vehicle I happen to be in. Can't really be bothered with solar.

My biggest issue, and I don't put valuables in there, is the condensation dripping from the roof at certain times of the year.

If, I ever got another, it would be an insulated reefer unit.

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #8  
Here is an option from Charleston, S.C. I have not used one before. I posted a thread on here TBN a few months ago looking for reviews but nobody responded. It's not far from Appling. MultiboxSC - About Our Boxes

/ Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #9  
   / Large Shipping Containers for Storage - Opinions Requested #10  
I've had two of them for years in Northern Nevada. No condensate problems at all. Very useful. They don't have to be single use ones, just not too beat up. Different sellers have different quality ones and you can shop for the nicer/later made ones. Mine were also painted and had an elastomeric roof top coating applied. I paid a bit more for those, but the appearance, lack of holes and good working doors was worth it.

If you put shelving units down each side you can have a lot of organization and a walkway in between. You can install a man door along the side if you want to make access easier. I sometimes store my 29 HP New Holland tractor in mine and it fits very easily as long as I fold down the roll bar.

I only support mine on the four corners. Plenty strong enough for that and that is how they are designed. On heaving ships, when full of heavy cargo, they are only supported this way. Once dropped off you can adjust the level with a hydraulic jack and some concrete piers with pressure treated blocks.

Rabbits love to dig under them if placed close to the ground and my coyote dug out a full den under one of mine. She had a very secure spot to sleep.

A ramp of gravel will allow you to drive the tractor in and more large gravel around the perimeter will keep the critters from digging under.

The easiest way to move them yourself is to make an axle with a couple of truck tires on it, that is long enough to fit under the container with the wheels along each side. Some plate steel pads can sit against the bottom of the container that are welded to the top of the axle. Lift one end with a crane or forklift and roll the axle under to about 10' in. Then set that end down and go pick up the other end. Then drive it around like a big trailer. If the axle you make won't stay put, you can clamp it on to the lower flange or tack weld it.