Let's talk 9mm hand guns

/ Let's talk 9mm hand guns #1  

Kenneth in Texas

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 4wd, FEL
Time for my CHL and Ive decieded on a 9mm. Ive always been a long gun type person since I was 7 years old. Educate me on 9mm's please, Ones that are good and ones that you wouldnt want. So far I like the Glock 17 but its not set in stone.

/ Let's talk 9mm hand guns #2  
I am partial to Glock, you cannot go wrong with them. Simple to break down and clean and just phenomenal work horses as far guns go. Any particular reason 9mm is your choice of caliber?

Any brand that is carried in Law Enforcement or military is a good choice. S&W, SIG, Glock, etc.

/ Let's talk 9mm hand guns #3  
Time for my CHL and Ive decieded on a 9mm. Ive always been a long gun type person since I was 7 years old. Educate me on 9mm's please, Ones that are good and ones that you wouldnt want. So far I like the Glock 17 but its not set in stone.

I assume you want to carry concealed. While the G17 is a fine handgun, most find it a bit big to conceal, Unless you are a big guy. A G19 is easier and still shoots nice. I carry a Kahr, but to be truthful most of the modern 9mm's are made well and are decent shooters. There are as many differences of opinion about which is "best" as there are guys owning them. Now I would properly put my faith in a couple of the very low end models, but anything made by Smith and Wesson, Glock, Kahr, Ruger, Springfield Armory, H&K would be fine

/ Let's talk 9mm hand guns #4  
A Glock is not a bad choice. If you take reasonable care of it, it should go bang every time. My wife loves her G26.

I'm not personally a fan, Glocks just don't "do it" for me. But that's why there's choice in the marketplace. I picked up a Sig P320 last year, and there's no turning back. The trigger feels a thousand percent better (to me) than the trigger on the wife's glock, and is still much better than the Springfield XDM I used to carry.

I won't get rid of the XDM - I liken shooting that to a big, comfy chair, just with the way the gun rolls with the recoil. I should probably put a trigger upgrade in it.

With modern handguns, you almost can't go wrong. Smith M&P, Glock, Springfield XD/XDM, Sig P320, Beretta PX4, you name it. We're in a great market with lots of fine firearms available.

Concealing something with a full-size frame is a bit more challenging than others. My P320 is a full size, and I've been playing around with holsters, but I've kind of settled on a Safariland OWB and just open carrying most of the time. Here in MO, I can do that with my CCW (CHL). When I need to conceal, I just put a cover shirt on and just sort of half-***** it for a bit. If I need to be more certain I'm concealing, I'll break out my XDM or even my XDS and an IWB holster. Smaller guns are just easier to hide. I do try to plan my wardrobe around concealing, so nothing fits if I have to leave my gun at home :)

/ Let's talk 9mm hand guns
I am partial to Glock, you cannot go wrong with them. Simple to break down and clean and just phenomenal work horses as far guns go. Any particular reason 9mm is your choice of caliber?

Any brand that is carried in Law Enforcement or military is a good choice. S&W, SIG, Glock, etc.

like the 9mm because ammo is cheaper and lighter weight and holds more rounds

/ Let's talk 9mm hand guns
I assume you want to carry concealed. While the G17 is a fine handgun, most find it a bit big to conceal, Unless you are a big guy. A G19 is easier and still shoots nice. I carry a Kahr, but to be truthful most of the modern 9mm's are made well and are decent shooters. There are as many differences of opinion about which is "best" as there are guys owning them. Now I would properly put my faith in a couple of the very low end models, but anything made by Smith and Wesson, Glock, Kahr, Ruger, Springfield Armory, H&K would be fine

yes big guy i assume, 6-2, 315 lbs

/ Let's talk 9mm hand guns #7  
I have a Taurus 709 for my go to conceal carry gun. Been very pleased with it. Now I am looking for a full size 9mm that is comfortable and easy to shoot at the range. I love the look of the Kimber two tone 1911 style 9mm's with the rosewood grips.

/ Let's talk 9mm hand guns #8  
like the 9mm because ammo is cheaper and lighter weight and holds more rounds

Additionally the FBI currently recommends the 9mm as modern loads and low recoil equate with better performance from folks who do not shoot much which applies to 95% of civilian and LE personnel. I have several semi-auto handguns and while I do not like the full size or sub compact Glock's the G19 is the most naturally pointing handgun I own, beating out the 1911 Colt because it is so much lighter. Buy one and at worse you loose a few bucks if you go another direction.

/ Let's talk 9mm hand guns #9  
G19 - not the prettiest pistol ever but a true compact handgun. I have fired tens of thousands of rounds through Glock's and am amazed by the lack of problems or issues with the guns. They are incredibly dependable.
As KOua mentioned HK, SW, etc are all good guns!

/ Let's talk 9mm hand guns #10  
I have a Ruger LC9 permitted for concealed carry. Not a bad size but I really can't compare it to other similar 9mm semis. And my choices were limited given what was on the California approved gun list at the time. In California we don't have the same choices as you all do in some other states. I like the gun and I shot well with it in my CCW qualification, but it has a bit of a long trigger pull which takes some getting used to. I would have likely gone with a couple of others I preferred at the time based on reviews, but, as I said, I live in California.

I also have a Ruger 357 Magnum revolver - permitted for concealed carry, but a bit heavy for that.