Dirt bike/Trials bike/Trail bike

/ Dirt bike/Trials bike/Trail bike #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Been thinking of getting another motorcycle recently and can't find what I want. I am old enough (heading toward 50 rapidly) so I don't need any more motocrossers (CR/YZ/Etc). I rode a ton when I was young and got away from it and am looking for something different to play with.
Looking for something like a Trials bike but maybe with a seat. I like the slow torquey power and want to use it to explore around the woods and some trails. Nothing fast, just crawling up hills, or slipping between trees where the ATV won't fit. Im short so I am not looking for something with 30" of ground clearance and 300hp....
Any suggestions

/ Dirt bike/Trials bike/Trail bike #2  
Are you looking for something street legal as well? Dual sport would fit that need, Yamaha TW200 sits low and has over-sized tires, Kawasaki KLR 250 or 650, Suzuki DR 400 (fairly tall). I have a KLR650 and ride country roads as well as trails thru the woods. Not sure you will find a bike with 300 hp thou :)

Dave

/ Dirt bike/Trials bike/Trail bike #3  
   / Dirt bike/Trials bike/Trail bike
Thanks guys! I would like a straight up trials bike but that maybe a bit too hardcore for what I need. Thinking more of a trail bike with lower gearing perhaps?

I owned a duel sport when I was younger and it was great but they are gear a bit higher than I was hoping to find.

If you never watched trials style of riding (big overseas) not to be mistaken for trail riding check out this little video I found online:
Toni Bou motorcycle trials skills || Тони Боу лучший в мототриале - YouTube

/ Dirt bike/Trials bike/Trail bike #5  
Of course it depends on what you will be using it for but if I was looking for a good solid trail bike I would go with a Honda XR200. The motors were bulletproof and made respectable power. Just my 2 cents. Trials bikes are cool but considering that they usually have a tiny seat and are not really made for sitting down I would not go that route.

Mark

/ Dirt bike/Trials bike/Trail bike #6  
I had a neighbor kid that I rode with when I was a kid myself. He had a 80cc Yamaha Trials bike. He hated it but he was a speed freak. I rode it a lot and loved the torque it had even though it was a two stroke. Besides a larger rear sprocket, the intake for the carb was much shorter than any of our other bikes. I assume that helped with the torque.

/ Dirt bike/Trials bike/Trail bike #7  
My Rokon was a blast when I had it. Could climb 60% grades, go over fallen trees easily, even drive straight up a tree. True 2 wheel drive.

It has it's uses, but it is so slow. 3 automatic gears to choose from depending on what you're doing, but you'll be lucky to do 25 downhill in the speed gear. Talk about torque. 6.6 HP motor will pull 3,000 lbs with its very rigid frame and can haul 1,000 lbs. Will go where 4 wheelers won't or can't and have done that myself all over Colorado. But... you won't be able to maneuver it like the guy in the video you posted.

Now, however, I have a dual sport Honda CRF250L. It is also very fun. I can take it on the road or the trails, but it is not a trial bike either like in your video. I have never seen a bike like that so can't offer any direct suggestions.

/ Dirt bike/Trials bike/Trail bike #8  
Trials and trails of course are quite different. Like someone said the honda thumpers are cheap and reliable. For low maintenance a KDX200 is hard to beat for a trail bike.

/ Dirt bike/Trials bike/Trail bike
Thanks guys! I do like some of the duel sports but we have a lot of room to ride so I don't need to go on the road any distance. I do like the XR's but have not found any nice ones used for a great price. It is a play item for me so I don't want to spend more than 2k max. The other issue is I'm short, like 5'5 so a high bike makes it a bit tough in the woods when exploring. I did see a Yamaha TTR125 with the larger wheels that I like due to the height. One fellow claims if you drop a tooth on the sprocket it really makes it torquey so that would be good. Don't care if it doesn't go over 35 or so because most places I'm lucky to go 15 in our tight woods. Any thoughts there?

/ Dirt bike/Trials bike/Trail bike #10  
We have a Honda CRF100F, which is kick start but weighs well less than 200 lbs. The CRF125 has electric start.

Our "go anywhere" bike is a Yamaha TrailWay 200. Still sold, almost unchanged from introduction in 1987. Street legal. 280 lbs, 31" seat height, 10" ground clearance.

2017 Yamaha TW200

This is a 2012. $1,500 to $3,500 used, based on age and condition. $2,500 will get you a nice one. Simple and almost unbreakable.

TW200RR1-L.jpg

Suzuki introduced the VanVan 200. Almost identical to the Yamaha, but fuel injected and not available used yet.

Suzuki Cycles - RV2 - VanVan 200

Last edited: