Help with food plot spraying

/ Help with food plot spraying #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
Last year I planted a food plot with Imperial Whitetail Institute's clover. This year it is being overrun with weeds. I don't know my weeds like I should, I think it's wild mustard. Green with bright yellow tops. I was going to order some material from WTI called Slay and Arrest, but it only did an acre and they wanted $44.00 for it. I was told to use 2-4DB. That this would take care of it and not harm the clover. I went to my local Rural King store yesterday and they had some 2-4D Amine, but no 2-4DB. The booklet taped to the jug mentioned the plants that it would kill and (red) clover was one of them. I asked the lady salesperson if there was anyone in the store that knew anything about the herbicides and she said no. So my question to you folks is this,,,, what is the difference with this 2-4DB and the 2-4D Amine. Anyone know if I'm on the right track with this or is there a better way to go. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you. RRM
P.S. where can a guy get some of this 2-4DB?

/ Help with food plot spraying #2  
I had an old email from someone else I asked about the same thing. The email said Slay... sorry.

/ Help with food plot spraying #3  
From another forum and now experience with my own plots:
Butyrac 1-3qts per acre 2-3 qts per acre if weeds are 2-4"
Clethodim 6-8oz per acre with 1 qt crop oil.

/ Help with food plot spraying #4  
Clothodim is for grasses. Butyrac is for broadleaf.

/ Help with food plot spraying #5  
2-4D amine will kill the clover for sure. I'm not familiar with 2-4DB.

/ Help with food plot spraying #6  
2-4DB may be proprietary to WTI (?). There are two formulations of the chemical 2-4D recognized for use by the EPA: Esther and Amine. Again 2-4DB may be a proprietary product like Grazon, which also contains Dimethyl amine salt of (2,4-dichlorophenoxy) acetic acid, or in simple English 2-4D. It contains other stuff which makes it "Grazon" but its active ingredient is mostly (41%) 2-4D.
According to labeled usage for something like 2-4D, Lvl6 for pastures, range land and forest management (not in commercial production), it shouldn't be used on clover or legumes.
The active ingredient in Slay is Ammonium salt of imazethapyr. You can get cheaper versions in bulk: adama, pursuit, stronghold all contain the same AI. The slay label says you can use it on clover crops.

/ Help with food plot spraying
Thanks everyone. RRM

/ Help with food plot spraying #8  
Clover is a broadleaf plant and your weeds are probably broadleaf plants too.

Since I don't know exactly what your weed is, I can't recommend anything, but you will be very limited as to what you can use.

And, I would say that if you can get something that works for $44 an acre, that would be a very reasonable price.

I suggest you contact your county agent or search university web sites to find what will work for you.

By the way, 2,4-DB was a formulation of 2,4-D that was somehow 'safened' so that it could be used on soybeans (therefore the 'B' on the end). However it was very rarely used on any crops, therefore would probably be very difficult to find. I sold herbicides for soybeans for 16 years, and very rarely sold any 2,4-DB

/ Help with food plot spraying #9  
what's the chemical in the "B"? can't find a label or data sheet for 2-4DB

/ Help with food plot spraying #10  
I found a label. the products are designed for broad leaf control in legumes and clover. the major product is butyrac, garlic and crossbow. butyrac is $45 a gal and should last a couple of seasons for your lot size.