Are you grateful you are a handyman.....? And has is been worth the time and expense

/ Are you grateful you are a handyman.....? And has is been worth the time and expense #1  

Retiredguy2

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 4410
Saw a Facebook message from someone today that was simply hysterical...she was telling others that her significant other was not handy....but he could actually open a box that contained a new lawn mower and put it together (!!!!!) and mow their lawn with it,,,,(LMAO here) I guess it is so hard to unpack a new mower and tighten the handle bolts and add oil and gas....she thinks that is being handy?

Well...as for me: The past few days I have done so much work to my 7-Iron deck...replaced the drive belt, installed new spindles and new Oregon blades, replaced all 4 wheels as well as both front and rear rollers...not griping as the deck has given me at least 1400 mowing hours on 5-6 acres of crap lawn, And it was 100% of a ***** to reinstall the deck on my Deere, BUT: I cannot help but laugh at that Facebook post that I read. I am easily 25 years older than her SO yet I have the ability to do so many things that so many others have to pay megabucks for. And yes, I am very grateful that I learned to do so many things on my own. Probably have spent thousands of bucks on mechanics tools as well as carpenter's tools during my career (35 years) in that trade.

I just turned 66 years old and am facing a number of medical issues that lead me to wonder: Would I have been better off taking a laid-back attitude and letting others do things that I had the capabilities of doing? Should I have been better off loafing around, or enjoying myself collecting tools and materials and heading off to the next project at work or the job at home? I have to wonder if my priorities were wrong. Thank you for your input.

/ Are you grateful you are a handyman.....? And has is been worth the time and expense #2  
Have you ever been married? I think pretty much every wife thinks their husband is handy when he takes a mower out of a box, puts it together, then mows the lawn. She also thinks he's handy when he does the dishes! ;)

/ Are you grateful you are a handyman.....? And has is been worth the time and expense
Have you ever been married? I think pretty much every wife thinks their husband is handy when he takes a mower out of a box, puts it together, then mows the lawn. She also thinks he's handy when he does the dishes! ;)

I find your reply to be incredibly insulting. Most of all because you failed to address what I said in the last paragraph. Was my taking time to learn how to do things myself a wasted effort or not? No, you did not take heed of that, Just want to tell you a few things that you obviously do not understand nor realize: I have been 100% deaf since 1960 and my wife has been as deaf since 1955. And I have also had to deal with advanced narcolepsy since 1970 yet I worked full time and overtime since graduation. By working 55 to 60 hours a week for 35 years I got to retire. AND, you choose to belittle my post when you obviously have no idea what my life has dealt me? Guess what? I have always done 100% of the outdoor chores here following my marriage AS WELL AS 85% to 95% of the household chores here as my wife is too disabled to do many of those. So...are you happy being able to belittle me or make fun of my situation? Must be nice to be a moderator and be able to pick and choose who to belittle.

/ Are you grateful you are a handyman.....? And has is been worth the time and expense #4  
More recently I have started to question being able to do my own work and the investment I have made over the years to do so... a dedicated service van with air compressor, generator, welder, etc, a Bridgeport Mill in the shop along side a Southbend lathe...

It seems there is always something to do and I can't with a straight face say I can't do it... which has caused some problems with family and friends...

There was a time when I rebuilt engines, etc for family/friends charging next to nothing except for my wholesale cost of parts...

Being handy means you are the one patching a roof leak at midnight or wading through sewage knee deep pumping out a basement or clearing a line... plus lots of troubleshooting.

I'm a Hospital Engineer so pretty much whatever comes up needs to be dealt with...

There are times when I think it might have been better and easier on the body if I was not so handy...

/ Are you grateful you are a handyman.....? And has is been worth the time and expense #5  
I find your reply to be incredibly insulting. Most of all because you failed to address what I said in the last paragraph. Was my taking time to learn how to do things myself a wasted effort or not? No, you did not take heed of that, Just want to tell you a few things that you obviously do not understand nor realize: I have been 100% deaf since 1960 and my wife has been as deaf since 1955. And I have also had to deal with advanced narcolepsy since 1970 yet I worked full time and overtime since graduation. By working 55 to 60 hours a week for 35 years I got to retire. AND, you choose to belittle my post when you obviously have no idea what my life has dealt me? Guess what? I have always done 100% of the outdoor chores here following my marriage AS WELL AS 85% to 95% of the household chores here as my wife is too disabled to do many of those. So...are you happy being able to belittle me or make fun of my situation? Must be nice to be a moderator and be able to pick and choose who to belittle.

I didn't see a single insulting thing about MossRoad's reply. Not only was it partially in jest, but what he says is true and supports the point of your first post. I know some guys who can't drive a nail without bending it over, yet their wives think they are handy. It's pretty common.

/ Are you grateful you are a handyman.....? And has is been worth the time and expense #6  
There are times when I think it might have been better and easier on the body if I was not so handy...

Amen to that. I was just thinking the other day, after whacking myself in the kneecap with a sledgehammer while driving in a ground rod, that I sure have a lot of scars to show for my efforts. I have pretty much built up our new place from scratch, but geez I have paid for it!

/ Are you grateful you are a handyman.....? And has is been worth the time and expense #7  
I think of how much less money and stuff I'd have if I weren't handy enough to do about anything that needs to be done.

BTW retired guy, I see no belittling or anyone making fun of you. Sorry for your problems but you need to lighten up.

/ Are you grateful you are a handyman.....? And has is been worth the time and expense #8  
I agree, I dont think Moss road was intending any insult or trying to offend.

I am blessed with a very capable wife and children, and while quite handy at nearly anything, I'm rather spoiled due to their contributions to our household and farm. My hat is off to you, Retiredguy2, for taking such good care of your wife thru so many years... that kind of dedication is becoming more rare, more so in my generation and it gets worse as time passes. And they get less handy too... *grin*

/ Are you grateful you are a handyman.....? And has is been worth the time and expense #9  
Well personally I am in the category of to many tools for to many trades i suspect. Well qualified as "handy"
I do wonder if I had it to do over again if perhaps I would have been better off to have picked a trade or job making good money, worked 8-5, let others do the repairs and enjoyed my free time. As it is I seldom can justify letting someone else do what needs to be done.
Some items i do wonder if one should really own or know how to operate, wheelbarrow, sledge hammer, roofing nail gun, etc etc
Oh well well 🤠

/ Are you grateful you are a handyman.....? And has is been worth the time and expense #10  
Three things tell me being handy for a lifetime is better than not:

1). I have to think being handy is a blessing and a skill that brings you satisfaction most people cant get. You have to admit being the go to guy feels good and you cant put a price on the gratitude people bestow upon you.

2). The collection, organization and maintenance of my tools and supplies are a great piece of my hobby time. I enjoy the whole "process."

3). If you hired it out, the end result would rarely be done to your standards.

I am grateful I have the courage to tackle a few of the projects I have done and a wife that helps (really, she helps, no kidding).