How many hats do you own? Storage ideas?

/ How many hats do you own? Storage ideas? #1  

longjohn79

Tractor
JD2010
So I own a lot of hats. I'm looking for interesting and unique ways to store them. I have my bedroom and a gun room to store them but don't have a good rack or otherwise. I like to repurpose stuff and have things be antique or worn, or simply creative. What ya got? Wife loves seeing them around the house!

/ How many hats do you own? Storage ideas? #2  
So I own a lot of hats. I'm looking for interesting and unique ways to store them. I have my bedroom and a gun room to store them but don't have a good rack or otherwise. I like to repurpose stuff and have things be antique or worn, or simply creative. What ya got? Wife loves seeing them around the house!

I take it you are thinking more in the way of display rather than storage??? I simply have my baseball style hats folded and stored in the plastic storage containers and stacked in the shop...I did take out maybe fifty or sixty unworn caps and gave them away in goodie bags at our car show though. Sorry I don't have any ideas for display though.

/ How many hats do you own? Storage ideas? #3  
I used to have a pretty good collection of ball caps, but when I moved to TX, I realized that I didn't care for them anymore and threw them all away. Now I have just a few that I wear to protect my skull from the sun. They hang on a hook by the garage door and there is always one laying on the floor in my truck.

/ How many hats do you own? Storage ideas? #4  
To keep my bald head from being on display, I've got seed caps everywhere....hanging on door knobs, on hooks by the front door, by the back door, on the dash board of the truck, laying on flat surfaces everywhere. But being a widower, nobody complains. Of course there are winter varieties and the broad brim straw hats too. Sometimes I discover one that I haven't seen for awhile. ..... that "makes my day".

Sometimes I can be late getting started in the day because I can't decide which hat to wear. :confused3:

/ How many hats do you own? Storage ideas? #5  
A length of mason's cord (cheap) strung through the springs on clothes pins? Office supply "binder clips" would probably be better (would turn the display 90 degrees).

/ How many hats do you own? Storage ideas? #6  
As I once saw in a tavern, staple them to the wall!
That one tavern had probably some 5-600 caps displayed and made for conversation and unique decor.

/ How many hats do you own? Storage ideas? #7  
As I once saw in a tavern, staple them to the wall!
That one tavern had probably some 5-600 caps displayed and made for conversation and unique decor.
That display would be kinda permanent though? What if the OP decided he wanted to wear one for whatever reason? Btw, ran across a bar in south west Wisconsin (New Diggings) a few years ago...they did your hat thing with bras...several on display...had one positioned over a deer head mount to create an eye-patch...fun bar in the middle of no-where!

/ How many hats do you own? Storage ideas?
Thanks for the discussion, I was thinking some for display but most of mine are just a different one for a different day or task. The wide brim for riding the tractor, hats for work, couple dirty but comfy hats for the garage, a couple for hunting and some for hiking. I like hats and like ones that fit good. I want to kinda display them and be able to grab them and wear whenever I want and put em up when I'm not. I like the string idea, I could do this across the wall in my gun/hunting room.

/ How many hats do you own? Storage ideas? #9  
That display would be kinda permanent though? What if the OP decided he wanted to wear one for whatever reason? Btw, ran across a bar in south west Wisconsin (New Diggings) a few years ago...they did your hat thing with bras...several on display...had one positioned over a deer head mount to create an eye-patch...fun bar in the middle of no-where!

So use small staples. :laughing:

I only have about a couple dozen real hats, which I just stack on a closet shelf. Straw hats for the summer, canvas hats for rainy days, felt hats for town, cowboy hats for rodeos, a real Panama (made in Ecuador), a porkpie, a bowler, a fedora, and a top hat that doesn't stack with anything. Quality hats are expensive. I figure my hats have cost me over $800, and it's not even a collection. Caps and tams just get folded in a plastic tub, and rotated depending on the season. I have one Pinhead cap that is more metal than cloth that lives on a shelf in the closet. My hard hats live on hooks in the shop.

/ How many hats do you own? Storage ideas? #10  
To keep all my caps from falling off the shelf over the coat hooks, I clipped them all together (1/2 dozen or so) with a carabiner and hang it on a coat peg. That leaves the shelf for gloves and knit hats, and the pile falls over a lot less often now.