Generators, LP or Diesel

/ Generators, LP or Diesel #1  

LSmith

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I'm trying to plan for a back-up power source for our new home. I have priced both types of generators and price/kW is about the same. What I want is opinions from users. What do you feel are the pros and cons of each type? (maintenance, fuel, reliability, etc.)

Thanx,
Lane Smith

/ Generators, LP or Diesel #2  
A diesel will last longer, they run slower and cooler, this is the engine that I speak of. Why not get one to run off the PTO of your tractor.

/ Generators, LP or Diesel
The type of generator I want is a back-up source with an automatic switchover. Every hospital I've ever worked in has had diesel. That is the way I'm leaning but I always want to explore all options.

Lane Smith

/ Generators, LP or Diesel #4  
One thing about an LP setup, the fuel would never go bad and you wouldn't have to worry about water in the fuel.

I have a diesel setup for my poultry farm. The gen set exercises every Monday at 8 am. This is an option you want to be sure and get, regardless of which fuel you decide on.

Attachments

• 426356-genset.jpg
    426356-genset.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 551
   / Generators, LP or Diesel #5  
I'll be putting a 10,000 watt unit into my country home, wired into the main electrical panel, so have thought about this issue (now use a portable, gas-powered Honda in my city home).
The better units cycle on for 15 minutes every month or so, and carb gelling of fuel shouldn't be an issue with diesel or gas. However, fuel will deteriorate (gas much quicker than diesel, but both will even with a fuel conditioner). The point that won me over was fuel capacity and run time. After Hugo (Charleston, SC) in 1989, I didn't have regular power for 7 days, and many folks for longer (in rural areas, many weeks in some cases). I'll have a large propane tank for the country house (water heater, dryer, stove), and I've calculated that if I fill up the propane tank a few days before a hurricane might hit, I'd have, if necessary, hot water, food, dry clothes and power (propane powered generator) for up to 10 straight days. I could keep equivalent amount of diesel around, but then I'd have to have 2 tanks (diesel and propane), and keeping diesel fresh in a large tank, for a guy with only a tractor that uses diesel, just isn't practical. So, a propane powered generator, and a large tank - very low maintenance (clean carb and plug) and emissions, & usable for other stuff (dryer, oven, water heater, barbecue).

/ Generators, LP or Diesel #6  
I have a 8 KW propane gen-set and it is noisy, uses a lot of fuel and tends to run hot. If I had it to do over again, there is not doubt about it... Diesel is the only way to go. I would have changed it out except that we haven't had a power outage for many years that has lasted more than a few hours. If I had to run it for a long period, I wouldn't want to be paying the cost of propane.

/ Generators, LP or Diesel #7  
Lane,
I also have a large diesel generator like Billy. These units are good for several thousand hours. They run very cool. If you run it with full load every so often as Billy and I do, the fuel is circulated and the treatment is kept mixed well. One thing that I would suggest is to buy a automatic trickle charger to help maintain the battery. A backup generator is no good, if it doesn't start. You can also use the generator's fuel in your tractor. Then no more cans to transport.

/ Generators, LP or Diesel #8  
BillyP:

What's a unit like yours go for? G

/ Generators, LP or Diesel #9  
I would suggest diesel like the others.

Our house came with a 35k Onan unit running on propane. It uses a 300 CID Ford truck motor for power. It was installed new in '84 and well maintained with annual maintenance. But up here we can get some very cold winters and diesel would have to be treated to keep it from turning to gel. It is very efficient on fuel. I filled the 1000 gallon tank (30 days continuous duty supply) in mid-2000. The unit runs an hour every saturday to keep the battery charged and has been activated 20 or 30 times since 2000. I still have 80% in the tank. I am very pleased with the unit.

/ Generators, LP or Diesel #10  
I have a Generac 15KW propane powered unit at my new home. The tranfer switch hasn't been installed yot so I can't say how it runs. I do agree with the others that a diesel unit might be better, but the cost benefit numbers weren't there for me. They might work for you though.

The Generac unit will exercise once a week for about 10 minutes, and the fuel won't go bad. I only have a 250 Gal. tank. If the generator gets a lot of use, I'll upgrade to a 500 Gal.