Fertilizing a pond

/ Fertilizing a pond #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
Who's done it how did you do it? Was it worth it.

My reasons for considering it? When I moved here 6 years ago the pond had a lot more grass than now. It still has it, just not to the extent. It was hard to fish from the bank due to the grass....except for topwater and boyee would they hit it too.

Fast forward couple of years. The grass slowly cut back and the result....eagles could see the bass. For 2 years they really hammered this pond, and of course took.....the big bass.

The former owner did not like the grass. Had put in some grass carp. Complained the kids couldn't swim too must grass. I think it came about from fertilizer washing into the pond from his heavy fertilizing of grasses. But he unwittingly created a good bass growing situation. I'm out to recreate that.

Open to ideas.

/ Fertilizing a pond #2  
The runoff from fertilizing or over fertilizing agricultural crops will usually cause algae growth in ponds NOT pond grasses.

I would advise that you NOT fertilize your pond.

The reasons are: first, the increase in nutrients(fertilizer) combined with sunshine WILL cause an explosive growth of algae
second, this explosion in algae will dramatically reduce the oxygen levels in the pond - growing algae require oxygen
third, as the algae consume and use all the fertilizer your pond will experience a rapid die off of the algae, the algae
will sink to the bottom and begin decomposition, this decomposition can/will reduce the oxygen levels in the pond to
zero or near zero and as a final act, because of the lack of oxygen in the pond - any fish you have in the pond will die.

If you still have grass carp in the pond - get rid of them. You will NEVER be able to get a good "crop" of pond grass with the carp in the pond.

If you once had good stands of pond grass - it will reestablish itself when you reduce/eliminate the negative factors - carp or any other species
that would dig up the grasses.

/ Fertilizing a pond #3  
The runoff from fertilizing or over fertilizing agricultural crops will usually cause algae growth in ponds NOT pond grasses.

I would advise that you NOT fertilize your pond.

The reasons are: first, the increase in nutrients(fertilizer) combined with sunshine WILL cause an explosive growth of algae
second, this explosion in algae will dramatically reduce the oxygen levels in the pond - growing algae require oxygen
third, as the algae consume and use all the fertilizer your pond will experience a rapid die off of the algae, the algae
will sink to the bottom and begin decomposition, this decomposition can/will reduce the oxygen levels in the pond to
zero or near zero and as a final act, because of the lack of oxygen in the pond - any fish you have in the pond will die.

If you still have grass carp in the pond - get rid of them. You will NEVER be able to get a good "crop" of pond grass with the carp in the pond.

If you once had good stands of pond grass - it will reestablish itself when you reduce/eliminate the negative factors - carp or any other species
that would dig up the grasses.

Turtles are hard on carp.

hard on bass too...;-)

/ Fertilizing a pond
Think the carp may have died off. Eagles got one I know of. Turtles, been shooting some, need to shoot more.

I lived in Texas for 20+ years. Fished Toledo Bend, Rayburn, Conroe....the more grass the better the bass fishing was. I see the same thing with my pond.

If....i do nothing, I don't think the grass will return to the same level it was. You noticed the grass when I first moved here. Now you see it, but simply no where close to the way it was. So how do you get it back ...without....fertilizer?

/ Fertilizing a pond #5  
Just curious questions...
How big is the pond?
What species of fish are in it now?
What species of turtles?

I don't buy into the turtles eating the big bass theory. Yes, snapping turtles eat fish. Mostly, they eat small, slow, sick and stupid fish (think Darwin). As you've said, you've seen eagles getting bigger fish. I'd also blame Great Blue Herons. If you've ever seen one at your pond, that means they've been there more than you can imagine. They are voracious eaters. Way more than snapping turtles.

Also, if you get too much grass, you'll have too many places for feeder fish like bluegill to hide, the bass won't be able to keep their population in check, and then you'll have millions of stunted little fish and the average size of your bass will probably go down over the years. From everything I've read, its a balancing act between nutrients in the pond, large game fish like your bass, feeder fish like bluegill, plants, oxygen, run-off, etc.....

There's some really good info over at Pond Boss Forum | Forums powered by UBB.threads™.... I've stopped in there many times over the years when just looking for interesting reading on things I've seen in ponds and lakes.

/ Fertilizing a pond
I agree on the turtles....they don't eat big bass. I shoot them to keep the numbers down. The type they are, are what you see regularly in ponds, definitely some snappers. Like you said it's a balancing act.

Herons...yes they are a problem too, but they won't get a 5lb bass I don't think...eagles well. I've seen them do it.

Pond is 8 acres, bass, bluegill, and catfish. When I moved here with heavy grass in the pond, it was not unusual to catch 4-5 lb bass. Biggest I caught from the pond was 6lb. Now I catch fairly solid 12-15 inch bass, seldom larger. I am CERTAIN from my fishing experiences grass = bass...and the experience on the pond bears it out. Having said that....several other factors entire into bass management, as the site you linked too tells us about. But I witnessed eagles fishing this pond regularly for 2 years...once the grass lessened and they could see the bass. They for sure played a big part innailing the best bass because they could see their prey.

So that's the reason for my thinking of wanting the grass to grow a bit more.

/ Fertilizing a pond
Examples... 2014_140825154258007c.jpg2014_140825154255006c.jpg

/ Fertilizing a pond #8  
The former owner did not like the grass. Had put in some grass carp. Complained the kids couldn't swim too must grass. I think it came about from fertilizer washing into the pond from his heavy fertilizing of grasses. But he unwittingly created a good bass growing situation. I'm out to recreate that.

Open to ideas.

Sounds like the carp are doing what they where put in there to do. If you want them to stop eating your grass, and other aquatic plants, you need to remove the carp.

If you fertilize the pond, you will provide more feed for algae to grow. You might also get some other aquatic plant species to grow too. I wouldn't do it!!!!

There is no legal way to stop fish eating birds from eating your fish.

/ Fertilizing a pond
I have not seen any grass carp for awhile. Eagles got the l last one I saw...bet it was 10lbs or so. Eagles go for the biggest fish they see...therin is the problem.

/ Fertilizing a pond #10  
You could throw a little cover in/on the pond to block predators. Maybe find some cover aquatic plants to drop in? Cattails or lilypads would keep spreading once established. I've seen some really nice flowering ones canoeing around.